• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you disconnect the Alternator

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never would have imagined that I would ask this question, but I am missing something that is probably obvious to most others.

I need to disconnect my alternator and either replace it or replace the regulator. I removed the bolt to pull off the obvious cable. My problem comes with removing the second large cable that goes under the metal cover?

For some reason, I thought remove the cover would expose a second connector, but there wasn't. Now I am thinking there is a plug on the end of that cable that is hidden by the wire wrap that goes down beside the frame.

Before proceeding to remove additional stuff, I thought it best to ask and air my stupidity in lieu of making additional mistakes.

... and yes I did search the TMs and youtube videos looking for the answer. Asking such a stupid question was far from the top of my list, I am just tired and less concerned about my pride at this point.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What truck are you working on?

Removal should be covered in a -20/24 TM.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still guessing on the truck model(no 5 tons in your sig line or title).

Attachments

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Working on a M931A2. I did a search in all 4 of the -24s but could not find anything more then a simple diagram of a removed alternator. (searched on Generator)

I was racing the setting sun last night, so I may have missed the detailed removal procedure. Removing my deuces transaxle seemed straight forward and obvious, never thought removing an alternator on one of these trucks wouldn't have been just as obvious.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A2 is covered on the next page of that TM.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still guessing on the truck model(no 5 tons in your sig line or title).

I was searching for "generator" based on what I thought the military called them, and I never saw that diagram. I found something in the -24-3, I think, but nothing that detailed.

Thanks for the help Doghead, I knew it was in there, I just couldn't find it.

I will go back to the -24-1 for details.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ick, so I was on the right path, just started to go a bit too far when the three bolts I was looking for happen to be under all that rubber sealant. :(

Page 3-229 in the dash 24-1

Again, thanks for the help in finding the page, much appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be under all that RTV / gunk. It's used to protect the connector, rtv goes on everything in the military in the mechanics shop.
I think it was easier to change the transaxle in my deuce. :)

Very enjoyable to unbolt and bolt on stuff. Not so much fun excavating RTV to get to bolts while standing on my head to get between the alternator and the transmission cooler which happens to be inches from that very spot on the alternator. :)

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A pair of wire cutters will speed up the process..... ;-)

Last edited:

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know if you can remove the voltage regulator without removing those three bolts/wires?

I basically wanted to remove the alternator so I could move the truck without exposing my electronics to more over voltage. Ended up having to move it as is to get to one of my trailers. Now that the truck is in a place it can stay for a while, I may just try installing a new regulator and seeing if that solves the issue. (especially if that means I don't have to dig out the goo.

I was going to replace the entire alternator, then fix this one as a spare, but the above would be cheaper and easier if I can do that without removing those wires.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you can replace the regulator without removing all the goo(and connections).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at your new regulator.

It just has 1/4" blade connections, right?

goldneagle

DH I am surprised you missed a clue to the Truck/engine. The spin on filter next to the alternator was a dead giveaway that it was the turbo diesel engine on the A2 5 ton trucks. (Since this is posted on the 5 ton section)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did notice that. ;-)

We should not need to ID by picture.

Siglines, titles and descriptions...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks