• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you do this to a winch shaft?

Rebar

photo[9].jpg

This is 1/2 of the winch shaft on a recently recovered M817. How did they do this?

The chain is also torn off of the winch cable.

Dude! What were you pulling on?

Also, anyone know where I can pick up one of these shafts cheap and how to reattach the chain to the end of my winch cable? I am also wondering whether there is non-obvious damage to some of the other winch components with this degree of injury.

This is great fun!

Thanks,

Rebar

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did they do this?........................
Simple: put a steel bolt in place of the original shear pin...

You are lucky if it only twisted the DS, and not rip the PTO out of the transmission.

G.

steelandcanvas

The rest of the parts look okay, but I am worried that other damage occurred before the drive shaft acted as a shear pin.

Rebar
Hard to say until you replace the drive shaft and do an operational check. I think I would put the winch and PTO in the Neutral postion and turn by hand to check and make sure eveything spins nicely first. If you get any strange noises or it feels funny, time to disassemble and look further.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
View attachment 396833

This is 1/2 of the winch shaft on a recently recovered M817. How did they do this?

The chain is also torn off of the winch cable.

Dude! What were you pulling on?

Also, anyone know where I can pick up one of these shafts cheap and how to reattach the chain to the end of my winch cable? I am also wondering whether there is non-obvious damage to some of the other winch components with this degree of injury.

This is great fun!

Thanks,

Rebar
The -10 or -20 will have this ANSWER

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have also seen roll pins used in place of the shear pin, big no-no! Have it re-tubed, they are not easy to find or cheap either.

Bolkbich

Its not always the shear pin. My buddy borrowed my M817 , accidently put the winch in high range and drove the truck down the road. The winch clutch was disengaged. When he got to 2100 rpm in 3rd gear the shaft spit right out the bottom bashing the oil pan on its way .....real mess. That pto shaft is too long for those shaft speeds.

Amer-team

When I got the M54, the PTO was busted off the transmission. The shaft was still in place, but they managed to lose the yoke as well when they wired the shaft pointing down and drove off. When I took the shaft off the winch, there was a grade 8 bolt in place of the shear pin. Probably would be a good idea to put a touch of anti seize on the shaft when you put it back on the winch with the shear pin. Mine was rusted in place in addition to having the grade 8. It was a devil of a time getting that bugger off. The only fortunate thing is that the shaft does not seem to be tweeked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks