• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you know if it's a Depot rebuild & records

OldGoat

Where do you look to see if a truck has been a depot rebuild? I have seen a few trucks that somehow came with a "punch list" showing what the military repairs where done & still needed. Some sellers say they have these records of maintenance from the military, is this possible?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depot rebuilds will have a metal dataplate tag saying so.

Very few trucks come from the military with their COMPLETE maintaince history. Ususally Air Force trucks have them, as the USAF applies their aircraft maintaince standards to vehicles, and when the trucks are transfered to DRMO, the maintaince packets go with them. With the Army, my experince has been that when the truck is going to DRMO, the computer files in the maintainace computer get deleted, and with that, all is lost.

If your lucky, and the packet does get put into the truck before it's trip to DRMO, it's still ot out of the woods yet... Some folders make thru DRMO/GL and are on the floorboards of the trucks for the new owner to find. Some get removed by people inspecting the trucks at GL hoping they will win the truck..
And thats if they arent a soggy mushy plie of paperwork, if the wind didnt blow them out the window, etc.

As for the Army, it's very rare that the maintaince packets will follow the truck to DRMO/GL. You may find a PMCS sheet, 2404 or 5988-E (The punch list you mentioned) stuffed in a glove box, but thats usually a one time looksee inspection thing thats done before trucks go on a mission.

I got lucky, my USAF deuce came with it's entire maintainace history (a 2 inch thick folder) documenting everything from the hang tag that was on the steering wheel as it rolled down AMG's assembly line, the bill of lading for the lowboy that carried it from AMG to Hancock Field, every inspection, every service, ending with the email telling the unit to send it to DRMO. All for a truck that served 18 years and got driven 4000 miles total in those years.

If a seller told me it came with all the history, I'd be very skeptical unless it was right there for me to see, and even then, you kinda gotta know what your looking at. A wrinkled stack of hand written 2404's/5988-E's doen not a complete maintaince packet make..

CARNAC on here can tell you some info on a vehicle if you have the NSN, serial #, reggie #, and the like, but even that info is basically the last unit the truck was stationed at and the mileage, but even sometimes that info is suspect.

Bottom line, trucks with complete maintaince packets are rare, but they do exist.

Last edited: