• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you make a LMTV NOT suck in the snow?

coachgeo

a variation

I like this better. Small cut. Depth controlled. High risk for finger loss. He stepped on the cord. Yep, that will definitely be my choice...
did a lot of search on this in the past.... best route seen so far that are more of sipes and less of a groove of various sizes is with a hot grooving tool.... with the hot cutting portion flipped upside down to the thin side. some of them are even twin blades on the opposite end of the swap-able grooving head. seen some who did it by heating razor blades

Reworked LMTV

did a lot of search on this in the past.... best route seen so far that are more of sipes and less of a groove of various sizes is with a hot grooving tool.... with the hot cutting portion flipped upside down to the thin side. some of them are even twin blades on the opposite end of the swap-able grooving head. seen some who did it by heating razor blades
You just want your fingers lol

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I beg to differ though we may be speaking of different points of snow.... creating more blocks from large blocks for sure help in inches or more; for example off road, .... but for "highway" slipperiness... the magic is in the sipe, combined with channeling of water out as you mention is certainly important.
You're saying the same thing as me. What the siping is giving you is biting edges, and paths to channel water. So cutting a large block into smaller blocks is just turning 1 biting edge into more, and creating more passages for water instead of a big block that just hydroplanes. That picture you showed is just a racing slick with that one big block cut into 1000 more.

And no, creating more blocks from large blocks is NOT good for inches of snow. In deep snow you want big blocks that dig and paddle. The siping and cutting big blocks into smaller is for wet, icy, slippery hard surfaces.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial

Attachments

Reworked LMTV

Did you sipe your tires yet?

Reworked LMTV

Well I got an Ideal siping tool. I note that a lot of videos show guys man-handling it. I just let the heat do the work. Did some Mahindra Tractor tires. Worked well. I have the siping head and the groover head. As soon as the weather gets better I will do some XMLs and MV/Ts.

Turns out the siping was invented by a guy named John Sipe.

Micmada

When there is snow on the roads, my truck works best when parked in the barn.
Nice and snug, dry and kinda warm.
Drove during the snow blizzard through Tennessee and my truck did not like the salt corrosion, so I hear you. On a down hill with the M923, there was some ice packed snow on the left lane. I used it but felt iffy on it and went back on the right lane. And then a semi passed me like it was nothing. Wondered if he had studs in his tires, although it seems that semis are not afraid of the snow on highways, as if their trailer makes them more stable? This guy was flying.

Guruman

Not so new member
Drove during the snow blizzard through Tennessee and my truck did not like the salt corrosion, so I hear you. On a down hill with the M923, there was some ice packed snow on the left lane. I used it but felt iffy on it and went back on the right lane. And then a semi passed me like it was nothing. Wondered if he had studs in his tires, although it seems that semis are not afraid of the snow on highways, as if their trailer makes them more stable? This guy was flying.
I wonder how many studs each of our tires would take? I've had some screw in studs in my Amazon cart all summer.... Might be time to pull the trigger on those.

One thing I believe in now is dedicated winter tires. My Tesla had an offset wheel arrangement and due to the two different tire sizes nobody made an "all-season" performance tire that fit both the front and the rear size, so I was forced to run high performance "summer" tires and switch to dedicated snow tires for winter.

I now run dedicated snow tires on everything I can. The difference between an "all-season" and an actual snow/ice rated tire is leaps and bounds. In fact, that's what the studs were going to be for.... Looking to buy an extra set of wheels and tires and swap between studded for winter and not studded for summer usage.

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

TN roads (asphalt and cement) never totally freeze, thus there great toward black and white ice, and white knuckles. Right around 32 F is the best surfing temp I have found.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks