• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you mark your bumper?

GoHot229

I'm a Vietnam Vet and many of you out there are too, some from Korea, the forgotten Vets in my opinion, deserving recognition too. As far as parades and all go, I have no problem with folks playing the part, dressing in a period uniform while their enjoying their MV, parade or casual week-end or what-not. But don't BS me with a Eddie Murphy ....oh yea, I was in Duck wow, and bing moo, and wang chung etc. you will only embaress yourself, I was there and I'll know when the BS starts rising, as will just about any Vet. I just thought I'd get that out of the way first.....now I want to finish off my Deuce with the proper letters and unit designation and being a Vet ofcourse I'll be wanting to do it up in my in-country #'s The unit I was in there. I guess it realy makes no difference if you go authentic or not, after all they were all de-comissioned units, and in private hands. I would avoid the door printing (for official use only) from a legal standpoint, it may be cause for a roust by Law Enforcement....or not, but on a military reservation it would ... But really there are more important issues to adress first on your unit, like road-worthiness and such, the last thing should be the paintjob, and then its finished. But we may not all have the same intention for these MV's and get novelty paintjobs, like the one here on the forum painted BLUE CAMO......cool enough, but hardly authentic or the Red Ex-Firetrucks, or the White Watertrucks, Black Guntrucks etc.

Lex_Ordo

That's where my head was. I wanted the truck to be all 383, to match my trailer.
Since an all green truck would have been a darker OD, with white letters, and this making it the VN era, I didn't want to put white letters and VN era markings on it.

I also didn't want it to look like it was still in service with the 114th Inf, so I chose the solid 383, with the general stencil in black. No bumper marks, and no BS.
Just a restored Military vehicle with no unit ID, and no branch of service. Painted in solid 383 with general stenciling to show it is a military vehicle.

jeep-Jeep

I left the unit markings off my m38 but have acquired several deuces out of the 36th div which sponsors our MVPA local club and in which we help with many historical events .
my intention is to recover the original markings on at least one of the trucks

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer to use the unit #'s it had.
Althought the truck id is sometimes changed to HQ #.

Regarding having bumper markings vs not.
In my experience, I get the same reactions from people both ways.
The average person just doesn't notice bumper markings.

Yet, in my town, the military could roll through, and better than half the town would assume it was me. :roll:

littlebob

For those of you that have restored your trucks...

Did you mark your bumpers with the same markings that came on the truck whether you bought from GL, or private?
Or
Did you mark your truck with another units identification? Ie, your units ID if you were in the service.
Or
Did you make your own number up?
Or
Did you leave it off entirely?

Just curious, as I am trying to decide what to do.
Don't want to seem like a poser eithier, Still not sure what to do with mine, but no numbers require much less work. I thought about using Div, Reg and Btln # numbers for my sons YM unit or the local USMC unit, but will probably leave them plain. To register the hood number in LA it would not be correct anyway. When I am in uniform for the YM functions, I have to explain that I did not serve.

Lex_Ordo

Well we're all painted!

Bumper marks are gone...
Both sides of the hood, inside the doors & map box have the truck serial #
Fuel tank, battery box, driver's door air tank drain reminder and TPs are all on in flat black.

Truck looks great!
maybe in the future I will add some bumpr marks, but for now it is plain.

halftrack43

I dedicated mine to my Buddy's unit that he served with, since he has helped me so much with it, and so did his men before he retired. I also run there colors during Parades and shows. 1/69 INF (M) HQ-1
Rick

Carl_in_NH

Painted in solid 383 with general stenciling to show it is a military vehicle.
This is exactly what I'm planning on - no unit or service markings, just standard stenciling for things like tire pressure, fuel type, and the other standard cautions and warnings. Simple and basic.

dc3coyote

I painted USCG on one of mine and parked it on base..The reservists kept climbing on it and trying to use it. They seem to think that just cause its green it belongs to them. One even tried to tell me that he brought it to the unit. I went ahead and blacked out the USCG and wrote MINE on it instead.

poof

Dirty Hippie
My Unit In Germany.. Bumper numbers were my vehicle.. I drove an M113 not a deuce
my first vehicle was HQ 111. and was a track.
I had 4 vehicles I drove during the 4 years in Germany
an m577a1 a new 577a2 an m113a1 and a nice M151a2
J.P.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The vehicle, IMHO, is the center of attention at parades etc. When you go to a museum, aren't the displays as accurate as possible? An M/V that is restored is nothing but a rolling museum display.
How many times have you seen museum tour guides in period costumes? I'm sure they weren't in the era they are displaying.

As a vet, I have no problem with someone in a PERIOD uniform displaying their truck. As long as the uniform is worn correctly and with respect and no attempt to pass as a "former" is made, I see it as a representation of a conflict that honors the men and women that served.

Again, my humble opinion and 2cents

BTW, I put my old unit markings on my deuce....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks