• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you properly drive a deuce manual??

shadow

I have a question about how to properly drive a manual.

I was thinking back to when I moved my deuce tractor, M275, and I had problems where every time I up shifted, the transfer lever would pop out of gear so I had to follow steps like: push clutch, pull out of gear, put into next gear, hold clutch still, hold transfer case lever up, and then release clutch. I am not skilled at driving a manual and only had like 3 or 4 hours in a buddies dump truck years before I got the deuce so I was fumbling my way through it. I had all kinds of problems down shifting. I remembered on his dump truck that you could bump the gas and rev up to shift down but that didn’t work at all for me when I tried it in the tractor. I even tried shifting down while holding the transfer case lever but almost every time I would get stuck in neutral with the transmission and could not get back into gear until I was at a full stop. I ended up using the brakes only to slow down. Meaning I would push the clutch in and use the brakes to slow and stop. Then I could up shift like before.

Is it normal to get stuck in neutral? Is it bad on the transmission to not down shift? I can imagine how hard it might be on the brake shoes. When I got to where I was going, about 8 miles away, there was smoke coming from one side of the rear axles. I assumed it was from a brake but I am wondering now if I didn’t have any fluid in the axle. It smelled like burning metal like when you torch cut something but I figured maybe the brakes shoes where too hot. I read the post a little bit ago where the member said to check all fluids because a truck he got was missing fluid in the axle. I really really hope it was just the shoe smoking and not something in the axle. There was a faint blue smoke coming from around the break area by that tire.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like you need to do a thorough inspection of your brakes and axles. Simply put, don't downshift the deuce(they don't downshift well and you really should not need to).
Once you shift it into neutral as you decelerate, it is very difficult to put the transmission into gear until you come to a stop( a quick downshift into the next lower gear is usually possible, but this becomes more difficult to do as your transmission gets worn).
Both of these topics have been covered well before, try a search and I'm sure you will find more than you want to know about these things.(of course for specific needs, don't hesitate to ask!)
Your transfercase should not be "popping out" of gear,ever. You may need a simple adjustment or major repair there.
I would also suggest that a deuce transmission is not the smoothest transmission for a person with limited standard transmission experience to drive.(very general statement)

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Your transfer case should not pop out of gear like that. Something is definitely wrong with it.

I've never had much trouble downshifting a deuce, but I'm in the habit of double-clutching my downshifts. I'll even downshift into 1st gear when approaching a parking spot, garage, etc., even though 1st gear doesn't have a synchro.

That being said, the deuce engine doesn't provide very strong engine braking. Stopping without downshifting isn't going to make your brakes smoke. You must have a bad bearing, dragging brake shoe, or something else wrong around that smoky wheel.

You need to get into that smoking axle before you drive the truck again. Pull the drums on both sides, inspect the brakes, inspect the wheel bearings, replace whatever's bad, repack the bearings, and adjust the brakes properly.

Personally, I think the deuce is pretty forgiving for an inexperienced manual transmission driver. I learned how to drive a manual on my deuce, before going to truck driving school and encountering my first crash box (transmission with no synchros at all). After being able to pass the drive test for my commercial driver's license on the crash box without dropping gear teeth all over the place, I still had trouble the first time I tried driving a little civilian car with a manual. I had a Subaru WRX for about a year, which has a very grabby hydraulic clutch and a little 2 liter engine, and at first I'd stall it out at standing starts almost every time. In contrast, the deuce is a lot harder to stall out, and its clutch allows a much sloppier left foot.

Good luck fixing up your tractor! I hope you won't need to spend too much on parts to put it back into good shape.

Banshee365

I am quickly skimming some post's and came across this one. I didn't read every word so I don't know if I'm repeating or not but there's a couple good tips on driving the deuce that I know have been covered on SS but maybe not in this thread. If you really insist on downshifting pop it into neutral, rev it up a good ways, depress the clutch, put it into the next lower gear, then rev it up again while you let out the clutch. This will somewhat rev match the tranny and will allow it to go into a lower gear. Downshifting without rev-matching is like trying to put it into first without moving or depressing the clutch.

Another thing I've learned from someone helps if you have a problem with grinding 1st gear when you select it at a stop. This is because, as mentioned earlier, reverse and first are unsyncronized. What really helps is if you just push the shifter towards 2nd and just put some pressure on it, don't have to actually select the gear. By just putting pressure on 2nd you start to spin things up and it'll slide right into reverse or first. This is a habit for me now and I never grind first or reverse.

-Kelly

beaubeau

:cookoo: :driver: Hey JOEC, Itried driving like that and I lost an EAR when I tried to Clutch with it!!LOL :lol: I often think about the different types of people who are buying MVs and the lack of experience and knowledge they have about their vehicle. I have been in and around trucks all my life and I was was in Motor Transport in the military. last year in I was a driver instructor for School buses and Tractor Trailers. I was a Commercial trucker until 1991 when I sold my rig and RETIRED!! I guess I take things for granted when I get in the cab of a truck and it is like Instict to drive one. I actually have trouble driving a car or pick up with a quiet exhaust, because I can't hear the engine!!I own 3 diesel pickups along with my other half dozen diesel vehicles and I enjoy running them more than my wifes Town car!! Good luck and have a Happy!! Phil

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut my teeth on a Mack quadraplex ( two shifters and sometimes you have to shift them both at the same time and drive too). A deuce is like driving a automatic compared to that thing. I think a deuce shifts as good or better than any larger truck I've ever driven.
I had a guy that was in Vietnam tell me that he used to ride with a guy in a deuce and he would split the gears with the transfer case high/low. I haven't tried that yet but it would give you a possible 10 speeds although some of the gears are close enough together you don't need too. Some of the gears are far enough apart they could use some help though.

beaubeau

Hey m16ty, Check out the piece I did on Is this A Deuce Clutch! I mentioned how to Split Shift a Deuce I drove an International 220 with a 5spd. main and a 4spd Auxiliary . I used it to move M 60 Tanks and AMTRACs Fun to drive!! Imenjoyed the 13spd in my KwW900. Behind a 3406 425 Cat. Smooth running motor!! Have a Happy. Phil

acetomatoco

When driving a loaded deuce, I always start in low range and run thru the bottom 4 and then split shift to hi 3... just a matter of routine... All of you folks who love to slip the clutch and start in second high must wonder why the clutches don't last very long or love the smell of burning caramel. Always fun to impress the locals when you have a whistler and shift thru 7 speeds on the way out of a Red Light Stop in town with the noise echoing off the highrises. Also, forward to reverse 1 to R is needed for the sprag to shift from forward to reverse and viceversa with the non air shift models and the 5 tonners. Of course, the sprag wind-up hop is impressive too....if you forget... Spring is on the way... 10 below tonight and snow for tomorrow...only 6 weeks to Maple Sugaring Season!

joec

Yes head gear is a must . I have had a cdl since 18. I am no stranger myself. It's like running equipment or riding a bike you never forget. The deuce is similar to a Mack low rpm 1300-1600 rpm. I didn't get into the process of it just a quick. I shift bye ear. Even with the head gear on. Yes the quad was my first truck at 13 one through the stearing wheel. And the other on the other stick. I have alittle experince being 38. I have hauled everything from a couch up to a 18 axle dolly setup 150 ton. I am just saying that i don't use the clutch to shift. Then you should know what i mean. And my hearing is fine because of the precations i took early in life. Even running equipment i allways had head gear or ear plugs in or on. I learned that from my father who was a Heavey Equipment Operator. He had hearing Damage. Since my first ride in a loader at the age of 6 months with my Dad. While most kids in towne playing with there tonka truck and toy dozer. At the age of 10 i was at work in the summer. Running Half a million dollar Equipment. And my last job on a 600ton Conventional Crane. Setting steel at Dupont. Experience...Just alittle! Learning everyday! Lack of Experience and Knowledge you Decide!!!

Saftey allways first. I just didn't get into a lengthy discussion on the proper way of shifting and driving.

And you have a Good Day as well!!

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
joec, My life story is very much like yours. You have a few years on me though (I'm 34). The stuff I drove and operated when I was very young would get someone thrown in jail now days.
When someone post about getting a deuce for the first time and asking questions I have to remind myself that for a lot of people this is the biggest thing they have ever set in much less drove or worked on.

joec

You are right. I just didn't get into the details.. Funny when someone comes on and disagrees with what you post. They just don't know. But it's all good. Like i said before still learning everyday. rofl

Capt.Marion

My advice (from a learner with military manuals) is to learn how to double clutch, and only double clutch. Unnecessary, some will say, but you never know when you'll need it. And as far as down shifting goes, on most trucks you'll have to double clutch regardless of wear or synchromesh.

gbooth

m16ty said:
I cut my teeth on a Mack quadraplex ( two shifters and sometimes you have to shift them both at the same time and drive too).
Back in the mid 70s I did Oil field construction one of the first trucks I drove was a 1965 Mack with a Maxinedine 5 speed Transmission with a 4 speed auxiliary. Reverse was not in the main box but in the auxiliary no power steering, no cushy interior. not even a AM radio, a true work truck. Three winches 1 raised and lowered the gin poles the other 2 ran through snatch blocks and used for lifting.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slow, smooth, and deliberate. That's pretty much the mechanics of driving a deuce. How you treat the truck, is how the truck will treat you. There are no "tricks." Be relaxed. Be smooth. She'll tell you what she doesn't like. Believe me. Listen to the truck. (They're a lot like..., well, you know what I mean). :wink:
:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks