• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how do you pull the locking hub unit out?

edpdx

I have the manual. It simply says to remove it... How? I tried to grab it with needle nose'- no go.

Here is the drawing and what I have out so far. Notice the apparently broken washer(spacer) I pulled out- lay inside of the ammo can top. I didn't see one like it in the drawing?!? It is twisted- this IS broken right? I am getting new hubs- do I buy a kit of some kind with replacement parts?

hub.jpg

hub2.jpg

hub3.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a wire locking on the inside of the hub .

Edit ; this thread will help you it has pictures Tire stuck . You can increase the size of this photo in post #22 of the tire stuck thread the yellow circles show the retainer ring ends that need to by pryed out.

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

Yep, you have "THE" clip to pull yet. I have had great success with a curved pointed tool that looks like a dentist should own it. The first time took close to an hour. Now, I don't even think about it and can even talk to people while I am pulling it out.

Sp0okfish

Yeah I one up the curved tool also. Don't you have to take the brake caliper off also to completly take the hub all the way apart.

Sp0okfish

Yeah that's what a thought I took both if mine all the way down because my hubs wouldn't lock in. All it was was sand in one of the hubs.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do not have the mentioned tool a small screwdriver will pry it up to the point where you can get a medium screwdriver under it and pull it out.
Spookfish, sand in the hub would also mean sand in the wheel bearing and the axle bearing in the back of the hub.

Rick

Sp0okfish

If you do not have the mentioned tool a small screwdriver will pry it up to the point where you can get a medium screwdriver under it and pull it out.
Spookfish, sand in the hub would also mean sand in the wheel bearing and the axle bearing in the back of the hub.

Rick
I didn't see or feel any anywhere else. Only in the hub when I would turn it it was just real gritty.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't see or feel any anywhere else. Only in the hub when I would turn it it was just real gritty.
When was the last time the bearings were repacked ?
It should be done once a year unless you do alot of miles , off roading , and fording , then it should be done more often .

Sp0okfish

When was the last time the bearings were repacked ?
It should be done once a year unless you do alot of miles , off roading , and fording , then it should be done more often .
About 2-3 months ago. I try not to go off roading too much unless to pull my buddies out,or during hunting season. It is my daily driver and I use it as a work truck hauling mostly.

edpdx

porkysplace, I did get it out with the help of a vice grip and two screwdrivers I used to walk it out until I could get a pick behind it. Thanks for your post and link.