• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you remove broken bows?

dm22630

One of my deuces has EVERY troop seat post with a broken bow in it. Some are broken off flush with the top & some are broken off 6-12 inches inside. They will NOT come out no matter what I try.

I took the troop seat apart, inserted a new 1"x3" piece of wood and tried to force the old wood out. I failed miserably.

I think that they are waterlogged & have swollen inside the posts.

HEEEEEEEELP!! aua aua aua

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the sides off and poke them out from the bottom side. If they are too swolen, get a long drill bit and drill down the center. That should relieve some pressure so they can be pushed out.

ah1955

I had the same problem all if mine looked like they were cot off flush with the top of the troop rack, half pulled right out, half of the rest I had to take the post off the troop rack and drive them out from the bottom, but I had two that I just about gave up on then the one finally broke loose by standing on a ladder and using a piece of round stock in the stake and a slide hammer type action ramming the stake down on to the steel bar.
The last one I ended up cutting a slot down the side of the stake to releave the pressure, the wood was swelled that tight, then welded the stake back.
I used an narrow cut-off wheel on an air cut-off tool so the slice was not that wide.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Will said: drill as much out as you can, then put a heat gun on it for a half hour, or so. In fact, if your going to re-paint, you can get more aggressive then that. That heat gun will dry things out. Then a long chisel, and cave the pieces inward.

Lee in Alaska

DanMartin

Get one of those flexible drill bits that electricians use to run new wire in old houses...they are like 2-3' long and have an auger on the end. Made of spring steel so they can actually drill around a corner. That will help you dig most of it out.

..then try heat/fire/torch.

If that does not work...there's always caustic lye. :)

rsh253

At least I know now that I'm not the only one with this problem. I have one broken canopy bow I can't get out. I've tried drilling to relieve the pressure, screwing in a long lag bolt & pulling from the top, same but hammering from the bottom, even the lighter fluid (wouldn't stay lit). Next I'm going to try heating the metal with a propane torch and burning the sucker out :twisted: . I hope it will dry-out the wood and allow it to shrink plus burn the outsiide. Afterwards, I'll touch the paint up with a rattle can. I'll report back on my success; or lack there-of.

-Russ

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had several do this to me. After them getting the best of me, I took that upright off the troopseats and tossed it in the fire. That didn't work either. After my experience, I'd think drilling to be the only way.