• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you test the starter solenoid?

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
The relay I referred to is in TM 9-2320-289-20P Fig 32 (picture), pg 32-1 item 3 (part and number). I have not done the Doghead as of yet but I had planned on it next week. Of course my starter beat me to the punch. I have been cleaning connections all day and am about to pull the relay (under dash) and test that. Ive read a bunch of threads on here about starters and mine does the same as alot of others on here and most of the problems have been dirty connections. Im guessing thats my problem as I went out a couple mornings ago and it just went "click". I have a starter for a Hummer (military M997) that looks similar to mine in case the problem is more severe. Anyhow, thank you for your help. I don't know how you know so much about these trucks but Im envious.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Item number 3 is the silver relay under the dash.

I didn't know how to say CUCV until 2 years ago when a picked up a M1009 at Tinker AFB for a fellow SS member. I was never in the military and never seen one up close.

I am a Computer Nerd by trade and have been working on cars since I was wearing diapers. I own it all to my dad who started me out fetching tools for hom.

I learned the CUCV mechanical and electrial by studying the manuals, printing out the wiring diagrams and spending hours tracing the circuits. I have even taken a couple of parts trucks and traced wires.

I work on the M715s, M35s and M809 series also. Those are supper simple and don't take alot of thought, unlike the CUCV electrical does.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Update: I checked my starter relay this morning and it is working just fine so I pulled the starter out, gonna bench test it in a little bit. Im hoping its the solenoid and not the starter.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the new gear reduction starter. Many members have used it.

Make sure you buy new starter bolts a a different/correct support bracket from the dealership. The part numbers have been posted Manu times. I can't look them up right now.

Don't throw away the old starter. Other members need the parts. Or you can have it rebuilt for a spare.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
The bracket pn# is 22502557 (as originally posted by Warthog) and confirmed my my local Chevrolet dealer. I will update when they actually get it in.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
So I did some looking around on line. For the new gear reduction starter, bolts and bracket Im lookin at around $150 (with shipping) and having to wait 3-10 days for arrival. I found a rebuild shop down the road that can rebuild for about $175 with a 24 hour turn around. Im gonna go with the rebuild, I will post with the outcome.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter

GM 15544950 - Starter Bolt
GM 14060613 - Starter Bracket Bolt - M8 x 1.25 x 20 (hardware store)
GM 14028931 - Starter Bracket - old style Direct Drive starter
GM 23502557 - Starter Bracket - new style Gear Reduction starter
I had to order the starter bracket for the new style gear reduction starter and also ordered the gear reduction starter at the above mentioned site as my old starter ate the armature. :sad:

The bolts are usually kept in stock at the Martin GMC dealer here in Lake Charles, got 2 off the shelf! The starter bracket will be in tomorow morning, they have 15 (-2heeheehee) left at the GM distribution center in Jackson MS. I paid 11 clams for it and GMPartsdirect only wants 8.18, the transport charges will be more than 11 clams...

Also found out that even though the site states that they are not a part of GM, GMPartsdirect IS a part of GM, go figure...

edpdx

lindyp38, I had a direct Drive- could have been the wrong one. It petered out and I replaced it with a chi-nee model from eBay. It lasted 7 months. A recent thread of my detailed this matter. I will say that in the few days since I have had my new Gear Reduction starter in, I have been feeling very confident. So much so that I bit the bullet and replaced my Passenger side ALT with a Wilson as well. My voltage meter is back where it should be- it never had been since I owned it. The ebay starter is being sent back under a 1 year warranty. I'll put it on a shelf for a spare... or now that I am thinking about it, just eat the warranty- I'd have to pay $20-30 just to ship it back. May as well take it to have it rebuilt by a local re-builder and put it on the shelf. hmmmmm... Get the MT28 Gear Reduction starter... and a bracket. My Chevy dealer had one in the warehouse for $16.

See my starter thread from last week for a wiring mod you might like on your starter- makes it easier to put back in this time and easier to R&R henceforth.

And where did you find that AVATAR? My wife's sister lives in Eagle Point, OR- those guys cannot spell either.

custm86

I've had some serious starter problems myself lately. I've been through two fleabay gear reduction starters and two Doghead starter relay mods. I've since rewired the entire starter system and am awaiting a new starter from Ohio Generator. I'm getting so tired of all these starter issues. The starters have lasted about two weeks max. Not fun being stranded. LOL

CROM

I, too, have been having issues (that I thought were resolved!!) lately. I occasionanly get the dreaded 'click only'. I have done the doghead mod and have a gear reduction starter. I am able to give it a smack with a mallet to get it to turn when it needs it. What does the smacking fix? Dead spot in the starter motor? Stuck solenoid? Should I dissasemble and clean? Could it be worn brushes/bushing? Not a starter guy, so I'm a bit tentative to dig in blind.