• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How do you turn the heater on??

wehring

Ok... noob question time. When I flip the heater switch on it blows but it is not hot. This is at nornal operating temps. If I pull our the AIR button it blows harder but still not hot.

I am doing a recovery tonight and the heat would be nice.

Please help the thick skulled guy in the bunch.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

dittle

Check the valves on the heater hoses at the motor connections, make sure they are open.:-D

There are 2 of these valves that Steel is referring to. Both are on the generator side of the engine (passenger side). One is down by the generator and the other is up near the top of the block, both at the radiator end of the engine. Should be a screw valve (or whatever the proper terminology is) but could be a ball valve also.

steelandcanvas

There are 2 of these valves that Steel is referring to. Both are on the generator side of the engine (passenger side). One is down by the generator and the other is up near the top of the block, both at the radiator end of the engine. Should be a screw valve (or whatever the proper terminology is) but could be a ball valve also.
Thanks for clarifing that Dan, sometimes I assume everybody knows where everythng is at.:roll:

mbarber84

As stated above:

1. Check all hoses for proper fitting, holes, etc...

2. Check the coolant level, do not open when the engine is hot
(top off if low, CHANGE if nasty)
Down the road you may want to invest in a coolant filtration kit

3. Ensure that the hoses on the heater leading all the way from the outside air
vent to the under-dash unit are connected properly, tight, and hole-free
This is also a spot where critters like mice enjoy building nests...... :-x

4. Check the heater set up, ensure that the hoses are properly connected to
the engine in the correct locations in the cooling system.
(If incorrect, disconnect and re-connect in proper locations (refer to pic below
Otherwise, you will most likely be robbing the engine of needed heat when
you operate the heater.

5. Make sure the valves in the sytem are all in the OPEN position

6. Turn truck on, open air damper, turn on heater. Truck will need to be near
operating temp. for you to get decent heat. You can place a cardboard cover
over the radiator to allow the engine to warm up more quickly in cold temp.

7. While running, crack open the small valve on top of the heater to ensure you
have a steady flow of coolant to the heater.

This is exactly, step by step, how I diagnosed my heater after I recovered my truck from Mechanicsburg PA. The hoses on my truck were INCORRECTLY connected, I found this out while barreling down the Turnpike in January with no heat, during a blizzard. LOL

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to post or pm, good luck!!

PS!: I installed the 1/4 Turn valves recently, when I recovered my truck, they were the old Petcock style twist valves, identical to what you will find if you look at the bottom front of your radiator, just behind the front bumper.
:)

Attachments

Last edited:

mbarber84

To be honest I never really thought about flushing the system! LOL

I think you could still complete the task using another plug on the block and the other valves. I suppose if I were to check the sytem flow with the small valve on top of the heater block, and I find the flow is restricted, I could always just take the valves out. It was an easy install, but you brought up a good point!

It just made more sense to me to install the ball valves, the 1/4 turns are more reliable, and longer lasting. I seem to have bad luck for rusty old valves, one of my "wings" broke off when I opened them up, during the recovery process.

Actually, now that I think about it, if you install the valves, you could design the system with an outside drain, just have to see what your local plumbing shop has available. Its amazing what your mind can do while you are standing in the fittings isle at Lowes haha

Last edited:

wehring

Wow...

I figured I would get flogged with knowledge... Thanks guys. Yes, M1075 my skin is thin... I take my candy ass pills daily and they have yet to help. Too many years diving for the Navy in cold water... nowadays (Texas term) if I can be warm I will.

Pulling a regular deuce with a bobber... I will report when I get back home. If any of you care to keep tabs on me here is my cell. There today - back tomorrow.

Justin
979 997 3112

mbarber84

Glad to help!,...actually just returning the favor really. We were all NOOBS once, the folks here are incredibly nice and helpful. If your veins run thick with green blood, you`ve found a happy home here. :)

Reactions: HDN

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling a regular deuce with a bobber... I will report when I get back home. If any of you care to keep tabs on me here is my cell. There today - back tomorrow.

Justin
979 997 3112
Be carefull with that. As a rule of thumb the tow vehicle needs to be as big or bigger than the towed vehicle. You should be ok but just take it easy :wink:.

tm america

the shut of valves for the heater look like petcocks but the are not they do not drain they are only shut offs they are not used to flush the coolant:roll:1/4 turns would be a nice improvement there maybe a cable type heater control valve would be even nicer since you could shut it off from inside the truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks