• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How does CTIS valve attach to rim?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How is the CTIS valve attached to the rim? It's not clear in the TMs, or from looking at it. It almost looks like it's just pressed in (e.g. no place for a wrench, no snap rings or fasteners, etc.). I just want to know before I try to take it apart and break it.

CTISValve.jpg

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As Coffey1 said first disconnect the hose at the joint closest to the elbow fitting and then unscrew CCW. The elbow seals to the valve stem with a small o ring.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The elbow part screws onto the valve stem. It dosnt look like it but with the hose and adapter piece off it will spin off. The valve stem is a bit fragile you have to go easy. Use a wrench or something to brace the elbow against the rim when you are taking the wheel valve hose off and the. The adapter between the hose and elbow. Or you risk bending the valve stem. A big wrench on the elbow and small one on the hose end usually works.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. So I take the hose off the elbow, leaving only the elbow on there, then unscrew the elbow from valve stem. If I happen to break the valve stem, is it a common or easily replaceable part?

Also, Suprman, I have 5 of our "new style" valves (the kind with the black plastic coated tubing, instead of the overbraided tubing). I got them from a friend who no longer has his truck, but he got them from you about a year ago. How are these different/better in design (besides just being way newer than mine)? I see they have a hex swivel where it connects to the valve stem, so at least you don't have to take them apart like this to get them on/off.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It’s easiest to take the hose off first. Then the adapter piece and then unscrew the elbow from the stem. Sometimes the adapter piece loosens first and comes off with the hose but no big deal if that happens. I think the earlier style with the elbow as pictured is a bit sturdier. If you break a valve stem you have to take apart the rim to fix it. The newer style with the integrated elbow just screws down over the valve stem. Old wheel valves can be rebuilt if you can get them apart ok and they are not corroded inside. Biggest issue is taking the old valves apart. There are 4 screws holding the valve together. Even if you are very careful, it’s easy to break a screw and then the valve is done for. There is a spring in there so open slowly. I would never attempt to take an old valve apart that was needed on a truck unless I had a spare on hand just in case.

Ronmar

The fallback if you damage a wheel valve trying to get it apart(or for any other reason), and it is unsalvagable, is to simply plug the center hole in the inner housing. The diaghpram via the spring would normally seal this hole, but if the valve is damaged you can screw in a small sheet metal screw and sealant untill you can get another valve.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A standard size schrader valve will screw directly into the end of the valve stem on the LMTV. The adapter you show is for a large bore valve stem which is not used on a LMTV. MRAP rims do have the bigger valve stem. The LMTV CTIS elbow will not fit these.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I got the valve and hose disconnected from the valve stem. How do I get this valve stem off? It turns, but hits the rim by a lot, so I can't turn it without bending the valve stem quite a bit (as seen in the picture below). Guidance?

ValveStem.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you choose to delete the CTIS. You can take specific type of pressure gauge that has a threaded port you can thread the end of the smooth nose on the valve stem it will cut the threads into the smooth section and it will allow you to screw a valve cap into it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks