• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How Does MEP Aux Fuel System Work?

CT-Mike

Now that I have my -803 up and running, I am looking at wiring it up and installing an aux fuel tank. My unit did not come with the aux fuel hose, so I am looking for information on fitting type, etc.

Additionally, do I need a return from the unit to the aux tank, or does the return just go back to the skid mounted tank?

Thanks,

Mike

jimbo913

Here is the reply I received when I inquired about the fitting.

"
Correct, the adapter is an AN-5 size fitting. I believe you can also use JIC #5 and SAE 5/16" flare tube since AN-5 is an oddball size that is difficult to source."

in regards to a return fuel line there is none needed. The aux hose just draws from the aux source tank to fill the main tank when needed. There is a float gauge inside the main tank which turns on the auxillary pump.

Korgoth1

You only need one line, keep the tank higher than your genset fueltank, and remember to place the switch in aux/run position. Lowes or your local hose house will have the fitting you need, Napa with have the fuel line.

jimbo913

Are you sure the aux tank needs to be higher? I would think that they would be smarter than having a system like that, especially considering trailer mounted gensets.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesnt need to higher. I ordered the fitting on Amazon and use long fridge icemaker hose for the fuel line. Works like a champ and the materials are diesel safe. And inexpensive.

Korgoth1

Are you sure the aux tank needs to be higher? I would think that they would be smarter than having a system like that, especially considering trailer mounted gensets.
If it is higher than the tank(on my 004) you do not need the fuel pump, it gravity feeds when the solenoid opens. It just keeps you running when a pump goes down, which has happened to me, when I needed the set most of course.

Korgoth1

One more question, what type of algaecide/additive to prevent biofouling?

Thanks again.
I have used Bio Kleen, I have also used gasoline when desperate to clean the tanks out. The biggest thing is to watch where you get you fuel from and keep it dry, once you start plugging filters, it's like it never stops, even when you get fresh fuel it's like it stirs up the mess in the bottom of the tanks...

rustystud

If it is higher than the tank(on my 004) you do not need the fuel pump, it gravity feeds when the solenoid opens. It just keeps you running when a pump goes down, which has happened to me, when I needed the set most of course.
On the MEP-003A you need the pump to work as it will not gravity feed itself. I know, been there bought the "T" shirt.

Korgoth1

I see, gonna have to keep a spare pump around. Well it would still fill your set tank, keeping you from having to carry diesel should the auxiliary pump go down, but youre sol should the main pump fail, unless you swap the main with aux, theyre the same pump i assume?

rustystud

I see, gonna have to keep a spare pump around. Well it would still fill your set tank, keeping you from having to carry diesel should the auxiliary pump go down, but youre sol should the main pump fail, unless you swap the main with aux, theyre the same pump i assume?
There are 3 pumps, all identical. Two are the main pumps (one is a back-up) and the third is for the auxiliary fill. You can always use the spare pump in place of the auxiliary pump. I actually took out all my back-up pumps. No need to wear them out. That way when I do need a pump I will have one. You could also just unplug the back-up pump and plug it back in when needed. I just wanted a cleaner look without all the extra fuel hoses.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to adapt them. I used a 5/16 JIC to 1/4 NPTF then a 1/4 NPTM to 1/4 flare.

The hose in the photo was the first one I made and mistakenly I bought a 3/8 NPTM to 1/4 flare which was wrong but I made it work with a bit of epoxy. The hoses I've made since use the correct fittings with no gluing required.