• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how durable, long term, are the m101a2 vinyl covers

hplacess

hi.

I searched but could not find anything.

I just got 2 m101a2s. they both have vinyl covers that look to be in very good shape. no rips or tears, color looks a tiny bit weathered. not brand new, but much closer to new than old, if you know what I mean.

I know these covers are made to be used in all types of weather, and are built to be military tough, but:

how long do these covers last if they are left on the trailer in full sun, rain, snow?

for example, should I consider putting something like a UV rated cover on top of the covers, or take the covers off and only putting them on when needed? I wonder what the military does...

I see new ones going for $300+- ouch!

thanks

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few years pending where you live and the climate. Direct sun will break them down so UV protectant or keeping it under cover is ideal. Also putting a plank of particle board across the bows helps keep it from retaining water and stretching the material & seams out (a bonus is not getting wet when having to empty it). The military just buys new ones if they go. $300 isn't too bad considering they were $500 about 2 years ago.

Carl_in_NH

I don't know exactly how to answer the question of longevity - since the covers I'd obtained were all used and there's no way of knowing how long they were exposed to the elements.

That said, the only failures I've had so far were the thread used to stitch them together failing - not the vinyl itself. That was simple enough to restitch with new thread.

I used my M105A2 with cover to store deck furniture over the winter - no issues with the cover at all. Of course, when we got heavy snow I carefully removed it from the cover with a roof rake to keep the load on it reasonable.

McGuyver

They'll last much longer if you only put it on when needed. I bought mine 8 to 10 years ago, and I store it in the garage when not used. Still good as new. But then, I don't use it a lot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sharky1528

Having a place to store it when not in use is your best option, had a buddy that left his on all year round and he got a few years before it went south...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks