• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How easy does your multifuel deuce start?

Katavic918

I've seen different ideas on how easily these engines start. I've seen some videos of some pretty remarkable cold starts but also heard of some elaborate starting rituals to get them going. Mine starts good when the wheather is warm and always fires right up when the engine is already warm. But on a couple cold mornings it had quite a bit of trouble. Is this normal? I'm just concerned that when the temps hit the 20's I'm gonna be dead in the water. An tips or tricks? How does your start? Thanks in advance.

Jeepsinker

Just make sure you have good strong batteries ( properly sized), and you can run 20-30% gasoline in your fuel mix. That will help if yours has cold weather issues.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
First thing I'd do is have your injectors pop tested and adjusted. When I did my head gaskets, I tested my injectors and not one of them popped at pressures over 2000psi. They are supposed to pop at 3k psi.

Jeepsinker

Just don't change the headgaskets unless you need to. That won't make a difference unless one is blown. The injectors pop pressure does play a big part though.

gimpyrobb

I've never used a block heater up here. Even in the cold I run a large percentage of used oil and she starts fine.

gimpyrobb

How new to you is the truck? I'd put in new fuel filters too if you don't know the history of them. Does your in-tank pump work?

Akicita

Katavic,
I'm not far from you in S.E. Pennsylvania. My truck stays outdoors all year. It starts relatively easily in any weather but I have to touch the accelerator pedal briefly before she comes alive. I really mean just a quick touch, not putting the pedal to the metal until she starts. According to the TMs, that should not only not be necessary but is, in fact, not recommended. She has been this way for as long as I have had her. My biggest problem, I think, is that I don't use the truck often enough. Sometimes, several weeks pass before I find another job for her.

Katavic918

How new to you is the truck? I'd put in new fuel filters too if you don't know the history of them. Does your in-tank pump work?
Just got it in may. Replaced filters and fuel pump. I have been thinking about having the injectors tested. Didn't realize that they were adjustable.

Katavic918

Katavic,
I'm not far from you in S.E. Pennsylvania. My truck stays outdoors all year. It starts relatively easily in any weather but I have to touch the accelerator pedal briefly before she comes alive. I really mean just a quick touch, not putting the pedal to the metal until she starts. According to the TMs, that should not only not be necessary but is, in fact, not recommended. She has been this way for as long as I have had her. My biggest problem, I think, is that I don't use the truck often enough. Sometimes, several weeks pass before I find another job for her.
I would say mine starts a bit harder than yours. I have to crank and play with the pedal quite a bit. I know its getting fuel because smoke is coming out of the stack the whole time. That combined with gimpyrobs suggestion now has me leaning towards injector pressures.

Bill W

My injector pump timing is dead on ( checked it when I did the HH O-rings ), I just touch the start button and she fires right off.

Last edited:

David Pearce

Mine is a 1986 and she lives outside, I run 90 percent waste oil. Anything above 30 degrees she starts fine. I got her about 7 months ago so I have not got to try it in really cold weather but I changed all the filters and it does help. Usually takes about 6 seconds on the starter and she is purring like a large lion ready for the days hunt.

bonedoc

Mine stays out doors all year long. Have no problems starting in the cold. I have started it as cold as 8-10 degrees outside with no issues. I let the intank pump run for about 10 seconds first to ensure the fuel system is pressurized then a quick bump of the start button and it fires right up.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine starts fine at 40* or above. Now that I'm in central Nevada I'll see how she starts next Tuesday, It's supposed to be 24*.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Deuce was formerly a brushfire truck that we purchased from the VFD/County that owned it. On our very first visit to the truck, after doing a pre-start walk around and such, I pressed the start button and it was like starting an electric motor... I never really heard her "crank", she just started running.

Since then, the only times I have experienced starting sluggishness was whenever we had fuel filter nastiness... With clean and fresh filters she has ALWAYS started promptly.

If I have a chance, I'll post a video of her quick-starting tonight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks