• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How easy is it to roll a deuce? Best tires without conversion kit for more speed/trac

alfred10

I was wondering how hard or easy it is to role a deuce? Where can you get larger tires that wont cost tons of money. I was looking for tires that will get good traction but also hold up to 120 mile travel on a hot highway. If get one I would prob prefer getting the 6 large tires instead of 10.

papercu

Where can you get larger tires that wont cost tons of money
Buy a retired school bus that has the same lug wheel holes. Sell the bus or use it for storage = free tires and wheels.
The military guys might not let you play with them. Wayne

Pawnshop

By "roll" do you mean turn it over? Fail to keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down? I would think it would be pretty hard on flat ground, on an incline however anything can happen.

Michelin XL's are bigger more modern tires that reportedly get excellent traction in mud and snow and are available for reasonable prices on the surplus market (IF you are lucky enough to find any in your area). I put 70 or so miles on mine yesterday in 100 degree air temps, road surface temps significantly higher, fully highway worthy in any conditions in my opinion.

Attachments

Pawnshop

Buy a retired school bus that has the same lug wheel holes. Sell the bus or use it for storage = free tires and wheels.
The military guys might not let you play with them. Wayne
The military sometimes uses road tires on Deuces, it could be considered "motor pool correct" even to a stickler...

I have a photo of them on a Deuce somewhere on my hard drive but I cant find it at the moment. Here they are on a large tractor...

Attachments

Last edited:

Pappa-G

I was wondering how hard or easy it is to role a deuce? quote]

It would be easier than you would think. When I was first in the Army I had one side (yes 5 tires)in the air while running up an on ramp to I-69. My duce drivers training consisted of; Sarge-"Well, Who can drive a stick?" "Good, you drive the duce. It won't go faster than fifty and the shift pattern is funny. Its over there.":roll:
6 Months ago I couldn't even spell "Duce" and now I'm driving one. Thanks Uncle Sam!
They won't flip nearly as easy as the LMTV/FMTV family of trucks.

Best of Luck with yours!

gunboy1656

My old unit had a fully loaded truck roll over on our way to Ft Pickett one year. It was a soft top, both driver and A driver both got out with only minor injuries.

Shut down the highway for a while to clean it all up.

Pawnshop

I was wondering how hard or easy it is to role a deuce? quote]

It would be easier than you would think. When I was first in the Army I had one side (yes 5 tires)in the air while running up an on ramp to I-69. My duce drivers training consisted of; Sarge-"Well, Who can drive a stick?" "Good, you drive the duce. It won't go faster than fifty and the shift pattern is funny. Its over there.":roll:
6 Months ago I couldn't even spell "Duce" and now I'm driving one. Thanks Uncle Sam!

Best of Luck with yours!

The Guard rolled a MTV in Austin not too long ago.

papercu

sometimes uses road tires on Deuces,
Road tires, Sure but the bus (the ones I am talking about) are also 22.5 so wouldn't be "motor pool correct" IMHO. Don't remember the years but if you see any with the 6 lug holes they will be the one you are looking for. Wayne

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
LMTV FMTV's come with a slope indicator in them like whats in the Cat stuff . They roll easy , all junk does but I havent seen a stock M35 roll anytime im sure it happens but not as often as the new junk.

KaiserM109

Best of Luck with yours!
At Reserve summer camp in Gillette, Wyo. the motor sgt sent me to the motorpool with a bumper number and told me to take it to the construction site. It turned out to be a 10 ton with a D8 loaded on a lowboy. I had seen them but never touched one before.

I didn't role it, but I did role a 290 earthmover that day. Talk about dying a set of scivies brown!

Wrench Wench

I just checked a big supplier of school busses on the surplus market and the current crop are all 5-lug, 8-lug, or a few 10-lug wheels.

deuce_09

i noticed that after the 52" Michelin XL's there isnt much room from the tire to the fender
would lifting the deuce for more clearance make it TOO top heavy?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks