• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How far can a M109 tilt to the side?

Rodger

Hello All

I took my new M109 off-roading for the first time yesterday. It climbed hills great. I am wondering how far off camber (road side tilt) I can safely drive.

Does ayone know?

thank you
Rodger

Rodger

When I had a Pinzgauer, the tilt gauge helped reduce the pucker.
I chickened out way before the Pinz did. The M109 will be alot harder to put back on its wheels if it ever goes over.

Rodger

wdbtchr

I've heard the pucker guage is calibrated by how small the lockwashers you could cut off of it. I think I would buy a tilt meter before testing it out. I've tried tipping a few vehicles, including my backhoe, and I don't like it.:roll:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone look in the TM?

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will know when you have gone too far because you will hear a voice that sure sounds like your own yelling OH S***!!!!!!

If you have your significant other with you then you will probably never be able to hear much again shortly after that scream!

Rick

Goose2448

After having rolled a truck, I cant even back up too fast. Once you know that feeling, you never want to do it again. Screw what the TM says, no offense DH, just use your brain. Dont go driving across the side of a hill, go up and down it, like on a tractor. You can learn a lot about nothing from watching the John Deere Safety video. Use your brain and the keep the green side up.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Generally speaking, there is not a predetermined angle that any vehicle will roll over at. Sure, you can find the tipping-point for anything, but in the real-world it will most likely never be exactly the same angle twice. There are just too many factors that contribute to something like that. That's why those tilt-o-meters get so many people into trouble. They make the mistake of thinking that just because it didn't tip over last time at __ degrees, that it won't tip this time. Whoa-whoa-whoa... and they were wrong.

Rodger

First, thank you all for the input.

I understand that there are many variables.
and I DO NOT want to tip my truck (Summer Home), that is what I want to avoid.
Sometimes the trail goes across the hill.
I like the idea of a tilt meter + a safety margin.
I would not attempt to test any published tip angle.
I am a science teacher, not a science experiment.
I will try to read the TM.

I hope none of this sounds wrong. No sarcasm is intended.
sometimes my poor social skills show in my typing.

Rodger

KsM715

I dont ever remember reading a sideslope angle in the TM. (could be wrong,not the first time) but like was said above, That angle will never be the same twice. Depending on what kind of load you have in the back and where the heaviest stuff is loaded (which side) your CG is going to change everytime you load and unload your gear. With that said I bet you'd give up before your truck does.

jesusgatos

a 109 tipped over on a trial would be very, very ugly.
No, that's easy. All you have to do is anchor the top corners (front/back) on the high side of the box to something secure. A winch-line from another vehicle that you can pay-out gradually would be ideal. Jack up one side of the vehicle (forklift?) so that the winch cable is not supporting it, but will catch it when it finally goes past the tipping point. Obviously there are a lot of precautions that need to be taken to do something like this safely, but it can be done. There's even some youtube videos showing how other people have done it if you want to check them out.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took my M109 off road at Haspin 3 years ago, and it tilted enough that the 3kw gen I had in the back broke loose and distroyed my cot.

I was pretty careful not to get too crazy with her.

It will vary as well by many factors- angle, weight distribution, speed, size of tires, dualed or singled, etc.