• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How far can I drill into the cab roof of my M1009?

linx310

I want to install some of these wire holders like the ones in the rear of M1009 so I can neatly route some wire the military had running along the roof held by duct tape.

How much space is between the roof of the cab until the actual roof of the truck, it seems like there is some space in between (I am talking about the front of the truck)?

I don't want to drill a hole and cause a leak.

I thought about using the wire holders with the sticky backing but those always seem to fall off after a few months. I wonder if there are any really strong magnetic ones?

Attachments

MARCO1031

Try this. Drill a small pilot hole through the inside sheet metal where you want to mount one of the wire holders. Next use a piece of wire to gauge the distance between the inside and outside sheetmetal. Choose a screw a little shorter than the wire and your all set.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back in the day, I drilled through the top of the cab (84GMC) to mount one of those neat aerodynamic exterior antennas. If I remember correctly there was just less than 1/2" of space between the sheet metals. I used 1/4" sheet metal screws to mount the antenna. This was 6" from the rear of the cab in the middle.

THe idea of drilling a pilot hole and measuring the distance sounds like a good bet though.

Good luck, and please post your install / findings...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks