• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How Good Are Interstate 6TLs

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up my M35A2 in August of 2009 at Ft Indiantown Gap, PA. It had old Interstate 6TLs installed in it with a date code of January 2005, although I initially misread the date codes as 2007. Although the truck had been sitting undisturbed for months according to the GL rep, it fired right up and the batteries were strong. Well, they have now finally failed. They were working great, even in very cold weather until suddenly one of them won't hold a charge more than one day. I noticed that the tops of both batteries are swollen up around the positive terminals, but this is difficult to see in the photo. Perhaps the batteries froze up at some point. I've heard people complain about the Interstate 6TLs not lasting very long, but these batteries delivered a full seven years of service - not bad in my opinion. I check the electrolyte level routinely and top of with distilled water when needed, which will help batteries last longer, but who knows how the Army treated them. I already have another set of 6TLs on order as replacements.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Some guys love them, others have had bad luck. I like my 1000cca batts from Costco. They are reasonably priced and have a great warranty.

emr

The workaholics are fine batts, It really is true, human error is the biggest problem with batts, they need to be fully charged all the time , short runs may have them seem to start just fine, but these batts will be low and start a truck for a long time , but they are sulfating more and more, 4 days is the recommended time a sitting batt should be put on a maintainer, I have em/workaholics in my forklift for like a good 9 years and running strong, they are plugged into a desufator/maintainer as soon as i feel it wont work for a few days, All mill batts i hear people complaining, truth is they dont know how long they were misused in the past, and may be sulfated, 7 years is good, they may go a few more if fully charged and de-sulfated for a few days, but it is important after a good individual charge to let the surface charge burn off a day, then check each cell with a hydrometer, if they say ok than de-sulfate ,

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 6TLs from Interstate in both of my Deuces and I have Interstate batteries in my diesel pickup, also lets see I have interstate batteries in my Corvette, my boat, my fish house, 4 wheeler, tractor and lawn mower I find them price competitve and have had nothing but good luck with all of them! No complaints!
KK

Heavysteven

I have Hawker batteries in mine. I have been very happy with them and my solargizer so far. I'm not sure how they compare with the interstates.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObcxTFX4EKE&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to desulfate, as it's not Lead Acid, and the "charge" that it provides is meaningless to the battery. The old school "revive a lead acid battery by a long slow few amp charge" way of thinking doesnt work on Hawkers. You need to zap them with high amperage to get them to take a charge after they "die" There is a TM that talks all about the Hawkers. Check it out. I have a set in my M998 and M35A2, and they start everytime, no matter how cold or when the last time it was started was. Great batteries, but they arent cheap.

http://www.hawkeraplus.com/technical_information.htm

A buddy of mine bought 2 hawkers that were "dead" according to the seller for $20 each, but after a good high amperage charge over a few hours, they are running stong to this day.

Sears sells the Diehard Platinums for civilian vehciles, they are civy Hawkers. You cant go wrong with their warrantee...

Last edited: