• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How hard can they suck??

sandcobra164

I'm working on pulling the turbo on my truck and got as far as the bolts that hold it to the exhaust manifold. Well, I hooked the oil line back up thinking that a little heat should help. I cranked it up, took the top to the PB Blaster can and put it up to the intake for a little testing. Turns out, it can stop a multi. It sucked it in perfectly straight and it killed the motor. The second time to show the wife, not so much. It sucked it in, skipped a few cylinder's and spit the remains out. I don't think I've really hurt the motor, anyone know how to get the turbo flange bolts out? They're only 9/16" nut's but they are dang tight and not turning.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This I learned from an old school mechanic.......heat the metal where the bolt threads into and apply a candle so that the wax will melt and be drawn into the threads.

By apply I mean touch the candle to the hot metal....not lighting the candle and letting the wax drip on to the hot metal.

Lighting tapping the bolt may help....you may have to do this a couple of times......I have used this method to get lunettes out and 105 trailer landing gear nuts off.

Sounds crazy but it works.:cookoo:

poppop

This works good for us. Heat the bolt heads to red, then pour cold water on it. Try it and see if it is loose, if not do it again. The shock of expansion with heat and then the contraction of rapid cooling usually will free anything up.

andystamey

This works good for us. Heat the bolt heads to red, then pour cold water on it. Try it and see if it is loose, if not do it again. The shock of expansion with heat and then the contraction of rapid cooling usually will free anything up.
Please tell me you then replace the nut and/or bolt?

mightymanx

I did the pb blaster heat soak cool spray cycle for 3 days the back two (closest to the block) are studs. took a while but eventualy came free don't panic if the stud comes out with the nut attached.

I removed the front stud chased the threads in the manifold and use a stainless alen bolt inserted from the top (much nicer to get to) for everything but the rear block side stud.

I went with allen hardwhere because it is much easer to use in the confined spaces especialy with the ball allens. And stainless because it will not get stuck like you are dealing with now.

mightymanx

The cast iron manifold will probably crack when trying this. There is virtualy no way to heat up the bolts/ studs this way (due to geography) with out putting the manifold under the same heat and cast iron does not like cycling that hard.

zout

SC - I have done this exactly as WM suggested and I also learned this yrs ago from an ole timer 6V92TTA mechanic working Generals - to this day on the 2005 Hino 268's we have - same way - bring to heat s l o w l y because of the cast iron manifolds also as suggested by another member.
:grd::grd::grd::grd:

sandcobra164

I'll try the candle wax trick today. Maybe I can just let it run until the exhaust manifold is hot and jump right in. Also, the feeding of the plastic was no intentional but it handled it just fine. Scared the S$#% out of me when it first went in.

stumps

I'll try the candle wax trick today. Maybe I can just let it run until the exhaust manifold is hot and jump right in. Also, the feeding of the plastic was no intentional but it handled it just fine. Scared the S$#% out of me when it first went in.
So, did it come out? All of it?

-Chuck

sandcobra164

Chuck,
I believe it came out in a stream of melted plastic. No more noise and the turbo spools freely. As stated, it did skip a few times while it was ingesting the plastic cap but it cleared up pretty quickly.

Jake0147

That skipping would be a chunk of shredded plastic stuck between a valve and a valve seat.

The original question, how hard can it suck? First of all it can't. There is no such thing as vacuum. Vacuum is simply pressure that's lower than atmosphere. How hard the atmosphere can force that cap in there depends where you are. Take the atmospheric pressure, 14.7 pounds per square inch or so. That'll be the pressure applied to the outside of the cap. The engine is not a perfect pump, nor is the turbo, but they could do a pretty good job... With enough momentum (time) they'll do well at removing the air from the intake side of the engine towards the zero pressure mark. What's the inlet, two and three quarters of an inch? (Ish?) That makes an area of 5.9 ish square inches. Times 14 pounds or so, that's just over eighty pounds. I'm winging it on the size of that, but without a doubt, pressure has a way of stacking up on you when you're not looking.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That skipping would be a chunk of shredded plastic stuck between a valve and a valve seat.

The original question, how hard can it suck? First of all it can't. There is no such thing as vacuum. Vacuum is simply pressure that's lower than atmosphere. How hard the atmosphere can force that cap in there depends where you are. Take the atmospheric pressure, 14.7 pounds per square inch or so. That'll be the pressure applied to the outside of the cap. The engine is not a perfect pump, nor is the turbo, but they could do a pretty good job... With enough momentum (time) they'll do well at removing the air from the intake side of the engine towards the zero pressure mark. What's the inlet, two and three quarters of an inch? (Ish?) That makes an area of 5.9 ish square inches. Times 14 pounds or so, that's just over eighty pounds. I'm winging it on the size of that, but without a doubt, pressure has a way of stacking up on you when you're not looking.
Hey, Jake... Is your last name "Einstein"?

rofl

BTW - GREAT explanation [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks