• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How hard to title an a3?

alfred10

The A3 I am looking at is out of state. I live in pa and it doesnt have a title. How can I title it, how much is it, can I insure it without a title?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It all depends on what YOUR states DMV will accept for documentation, and all states are different.

I know in NY that if it's 1973 or newer, if you dont have a title, you have an unregisterable vehicle, case closed, and no amount of whining or begging at DMV will get you one. Other states are different, and have bonded titles and other methods to get titles..

Also in NY, dont show up with a SF-97 thats is in someone else's name. This usually happens with someone buying a truck from GL, getting ther SF-97 in THEIR name, and then they turn around and sell it, giving you THEIR SF-97, (usually saying saying that the NYS DMV will accept it. The DMV wont.) What SHOULD happen is the original purchaser of the truck from GL should turn the SF-97 into a title in their state, then they can sell it to anyone with no problems. But that usually costs $, and some sellers wont do that to save themselves a few bucks, and all that does is give you a LARGE rolling unregisterable boat anchor in the Empire State.

Bottom line, consult your states DMV website and go from there.

Last edited:

AceHigh

When I got my A3, I got a SF97 and notarized bill of sale from GL. For some reason, even tho I had previously licensed 3 vehicles from GL with the above, the state of WV said no, they wanted a title instead.

GL was great throughout the process but it took about 4 and 1/2 months to work through it. No title? No way.

lonegunman

Washington state was ok with a SF97 and bill of sale, they seemed tohave registered a mil vech before. Of course getting a title is taking forever and a day. They feel that as long as you have registration there is no rush to do the rest of their job.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another course of action is the title bond route. Contact your local insurance company (A brick and mortar place of business) about getting a title bond.

alfred10

I called the PA DMV and they said I could only get one through a court order. They said this was not a 100 percent going to happen either. Are Deuces usually sold without titles? Has anyone else titled one in PA?

flyxpl

The A3 I am looking at is out of state. I live in pa and it doesnt have a title. How can I title it, how much is it, can I insure it without a title?
Thier is no reason the seller should not have a title or be able to get a title , unless he did something stupid like buy it witout a title . I would not buy it without a title unless you intend on parting it out .

gunboy1656

I can't find my email, but from what I was told from the DMV. There is a form you have to fill out, that give the "history" of the previous owners. I don't remember the form number off hand. I asked as I was looking at a couple trailers with no titles.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If the previous owner bought it from GL and didn't get the SF-97 he can still get one buy filling out the form on the GL site and paying the fee.

He can then title it in his state and transfer that title to you....if he is an honest person he will do this for you (although he may want you to foot the bill).

I had to apply for an AL title (using the SF-97 I got from GL) to sell a M916 to a fellow Alabamian.

krall

yes I have been calling about my titling I will have to do in PA and I am getting GL to get me the title, otherwize you will not get to far quickly with out it.

surfdog

Are Deuces usually sold without titles? Has anyone else titled one in PA?

In NY State, every deuce that is pre-1973 is sold WITHOUT a title as our state will not issue a title for a vehiccle this old. What DMV does issue is a "transferable registration".

You also do not need a SF-97 from GL to register a pre-73 M35 truck bought from them. It can be done with the bill of sale, MV-51, and MV-51B forms. I have registered about 8 in NY this way without a SF-97 - I see no reason to give GL the extra $60.

But for the two M35A3's I bought from GL I did pay for the SF-97 forms. Then I paid NY DMV another $50 for each truck to get a NY title in my name.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks