• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How high to jack a Deuce

Dasgog

Hello

I am going to begin my journey with takin tires, whelks and everything to the axles off on my front end and was wondering how high to jack it?. I am going to get the standard 18-19” heigh bottle jack and with the tires I have I am sitting at 21” from floor to bottom of axle beam where I’ll be jacking it.
As far as how high.... Aside from getting a nice 4x6 for underneath jack stands and bottle jack, do I just need to lift it to where the wheel spins? I mean even an inch is ok? Just enough to wiggle tire off?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct. Unlike a car, the jack on the truck goes right under the axle housing. It will lift the tire off the ground within a couple inches. That's all you need. Nevertheless, think safety and use an an axle stand or stacked 4x4 or 6x6 pieces.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dasgog

Correct. Unlike a car, the jack on the truck goes right under the axle housing. It will lift the tire off the ground within a couple inches. That's all you need. Nevertheless, think safety and use an an axle stand or stacked 4x4 or 6x6 pieces.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Thank you for the help.

I will say that I am using a 20 Ton Bottle Jack which I will be placing off center from middle axle housing (towards the specific side I am doing at the time) with enough room for a jack stand closer to the wheel. I am using 6 ton stand for that. I will be doing this alone and for first time and I feel I need to jack one side at a time especially if any rough handling happens as I take off the knuckle etc.
When you say axle stand I assume you mean jack stands?
Also I will indeed be getting some 6x6 for the added height for both bottle jack and stand.

Senderofan

I also purchased a 20 ton bottle jack. I plan on investing in some heavy duty jack stands........but will also have plenty of short lengths of 6"x6"'s too use as back up cribbing. Jacks have been known to fail....and back up to the jack stands make sense........Harbor Freight has had a pretty big recall on one of their popular jack stands.....so I guess they can be faulty as well.

V8srfun

I prefer to just get the tire off the ground with as little air gap as possible. This way it is much easier to deal with the tire/wheel weight.

Dasgog

I prefer to just get the tire off the ground with as little air gap as possible. This way it is much easier to deal with the tire/wheel weight.
Well I am not sure what constitutes “heavy duty” but so did get my 20 Ton Bottle and 2 x 6 Ton Jack Stands from Tractor Supply. I also plan on putting some nice 6x6 or what not under both jack stand and bottle jack. I am also going to raise it maybe an inch off ground as well. Going to do one side at a time in case anything does happen then it’s better than whole front coming down on me.
I have watched hours and hours of YouTube and of reading manuals and I get the concept of wheel hub to inner axle shaft seal but I also see them pounding on some thing that are stuck and my heart reals out like it’s gonna vibrate off the stands!
I guess I’ll find out.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"...but I also see them pounding on some thing that are stuck and my heart reals out like it’s gonna vibrate off the stands! "

it is very unlikely that you will move a 6t truck sitting solidly on stands by using a hammer that you are still able to lift. Of more concern is the ground your jack and the axle stands are placed upon. It needs to be solid enough so nothing sinks in or punches through (too thin of a concrete or asphalt layer). We had a member here that put the truck on six axle stands sitting on dirt, took the wheels off, readying the truck for sand blasting. The axle stands slowly sank over night, unevenly, and the truck toppled off the axle stands. Great fun getting the wheels back on!

V8srfun

"...but I also see them pounding on some thing that are stuck and my heart reals out like it’s gonna vibrate off the stands! "

it is very unlikely that you will move a 6t truck sitting solidly on stands by using a hammer that you are still able to lift. Of more concern is the ground your jack and the axle stands are placed upon. It needs to be solid enough so nothing sinks in or punches through (too thin of a concrete or asphalt layer). We had a member here that put the truck on six axle stands sitting on dirt, took the wheels off, readying the truck for sand blasting. The axle stands slowly sank over night, unevenly, and the truck toppled off the axle stands. Great fun getting the wheels back on!
this is why I am a fan if cribbing with 4x4’s or something of the sort that creates a nice large footprint on the ground.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks