• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MI How I did it

biscuitwhistler37

So since in my state you don't need a special license for the M44, I transferred my regular pickup truck policy to my Kaiser, from my Ford. Full coverage, emergency roadside assistance, all the bells, State Farm, 1600 a year. Yeah, it's a little pricey, but for not having to deal with the rigamarole, I'll take it. Official insurance definition of mine is "utility pickup truck", being that it as an M35A2, and not an A2C, it has 3 solid walls and a tailgate as the bed, defining it as such. Passed the 2 week mark, no cancellations. So far all is well, hope it helps someone.

Last edited:

biscuitwhistler37

Be careful here. You have provided a false description of your M35A2. If there is an accident, the insurance company can legally refuse to pay for damages based on the false description.
No, I told them exactly what it was, how it was laid out, what it weighs, etc. I gave them as detailed of a description as possible, without going into detail of it being an MV, and the only question they had was if it had a fixed bed or drop sides. Maybe my agent knows something most do not, as I know I'm not the only person that has theirs done like this. Worth noting, my truck already had a clean, same state title as a utility truck, that may be why. Or, my agency is clueless and like you said, I'm improperly insured. I think I'll make a call and find out. Thanks for the pointers, we'll see what they say.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No, I told them exactly what it was, how it was laid out, what it weighs, etc. I gave them as detailed of a description as possible, without going into detail of it being an MV, and the only question they had was if it had a fixed bed or drop sides. Maybe my agent knows something most do not, as I know I'm not the only person that has theirs done like this. Worth noting, my truck already had a clean, same state title as a utility truck, that may be why. Or, my agency is clueless and like you said, I'm improperly insured. I think I'll make a call and find out. Thanks for the pointers, we'll see what they say.
Possibly get them to write it down - saying that you are insured at 12,000# or something similar...

biscuitwhistler37

Possibly get them to write it down - saying that you are insured at 12,000# or something similar...
I expressed concern with that as well, since the Kaiser weighs almost double what my truck did. Apparently they factor in curb weight, gross weight, and towing capacity, and by today's definitions using whatever formula they use, the M35A2 is nothing more than a tandem axle Ford 1 ton. I didn't believe it, so I researched and was very surprised to learn that while GM and Ford trucks weigh in at just shy of 8k curb, their gross weight exceeds 10k, 11k for the Ford, and their towing capacities were 20 some odd k for the gmc, 38k for the Ford. The deuce is 9560 curb, 13,530 gross, 23,700 combined, tow rating of 10k. Weight for weight, on paper, the M35A2 is SMALLER than a typical production one ton truck.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I expressed concern with that as well, since the Kaiser weighs almost double what my truck did. Apparently they factor in curb weight, gross weight, and towing capacity, and by today's definitions using whatever formula they use, the M35A2 is nothing more than a tandem axle Ford 1 ton. I didn't believe it, so I researched and was very surprised to learn that while GM and Ford trucks weigh in at just shy of 8k curb, their gross weight exceeds 10k, 11k for the Ford, and their towing capacities were 20 some odd k for the gmc, 38k for the Ford. The deuce is 9560 curb, 13,530 gross, 23,700 combined, tow rating of 10k. Weight for weight, on paper, the M35A2 is SMALLER than a typical production one ton truck.
Wow!

Never would have "thunked" it was that way...
Especially that a Deuce would have weighed in less than a Ford of Chevy!

biscuitwhistler37

Wow!

Never would have "thunked" it was that way...
Especially that a Deuce would have weighed in less than a Ford of Chevy!

Same. I haven't looked at the Dodge yet, but I imagine it's larger. Throw some air bags, 3 points, 24.5" touchscreen with backup camera, inline twin mufflers and drop bumpers on the deuce and get an "added safety equipment" break 😆😂 waiting on a call back from another agent through the same company to see if I hear the same story. If it is this easy for me, in notoriously the worse state for insurance, there should be no struggle elsewhere.

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So since in my state you don't need a special license for the M44, I transferred my regular pickup truck policy to my Kaiser, from my Ford. Full coverage, emergency roadside assistance, all the bells, State Farm, 1600 a year. Yeah, it's a little pricey, but for not having to deal with the rigamarole, I'll take it. Official insurance definition of mine is "utility pickup truck", being that it as an M35A2, and not an A2C, it has 3 solid walls and a tailgate as the bed, defining it as such. Passed the 2 week mark, no cancellations. So far all is well, hope it helps someone.

Just BUMPING this thread. Curious if all is still good. Does MI have you get DOT numbers when you try to register?
Here in NY, the insurance is the easy part.

Cheers

biscuitwhistler37

Just BUMPING this thread. Curious if all is still good. Does MI have you get DOT numbers when you try to register?
Here in NY, the insurance is the easy part.

Cheers
All is still well, ended up getting a commercial plate for private use so no DOT numbers. Called the insurance company after the plate and title were done to verify there wouldn't be an issue between insurance and plate and everything's in the green. The plate was not cheap, but worth it since it's basically titled and insured as an oversized pickup truck with all the full coverage insurance perks, (roadside assistance, towing, etc). I was not able to get the title changed to reflect vehicle type as pickup though, we tried, computer system said no. Other than that, no issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks