• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How important are the extra fuel pumps? MEP003a

Guyfang

Staff member
I guess I don't view the original equipment pumps as reliable. My set came with two... one one dead when i bought it, the other caused my set to stall out a couple times last time I needed it for power. To get it going again I needed to take a wrench and tap on it in order for it start pumping again. (This sounds like lacquer buildup in the pump. Happens when a set sits too long someplace.) Grounds are clean and connections are tight... but I would NEVER accuse my pumps of being reliable.

While running on the 24V charging circuit the first battery reads 13.5V and across both batteries reads 27.0V I don't follow how a battery that's being giving 13.5V (just like any 12V charging circuit) will drain.

EDIT:

After further research it seems this particular topic of getting 12V off a 24V system has been well hashed out elsewhere on the interwebs. Debate ensues regarding the affect on the "victim" battery but most threads boil down to the fact that its not likely to cause an issue, and any issue that *may* be caused can be remedied by periodically rotating the batteries. (this sounds like extra work. But if you don't think its going to be a problem, run with it.)

That comes out to 18 gal/hour or nearly 40 liters/hour. (I took this info, 3 gal a min. from the -34 TM.)

My experience with most diesel injection pumps is that excess volume is handled by simply routing it back to the tank. (Correct. This also cools and lubes the IP. Designed that way.) As long as you meet the minimum volume and keep the pressure as designed, going "over" on fuel volume doesn't cause an issue (unless that also causes a rise in pressure) (Correct again. That's never going to happen with this set, so a non problem)

The pumps I bought are rated for 30 GPH 5-9PSI... which means a single pump should have no problem keeping the injection pump supplied. (And that's good enough to go. And as long as its a flow through type, you can set it in series with the other pump and all is well. If its not flow through, everything is good too. Till one or the other stops.)

My installed pump was great (or so I thought) until I started to need to bang on it to get it to pump. Cleaned the grounds (do you have the serrated washers on both sides of the mounting hardware? Getting a good ground was always the problem with the E-Pumps. That's why CECOM went to a double serrated lock washer on the mounting of the pump. See the picture, item #27.) and it was great again... until it wasn't and I needed power.

Attachments

North Maine

I guess I don't view the original equipment pumps as reliable. My set came with two... one one dead when i bought it, the other caused my set to stall out a couple times last time I needed it for power. To get it going again I needed to take a wrench and tap on it in order for it start pumping again. (This sounds like lacquer buildup in the pump. Happens when a set sits too long someplace.) Grounds are clean and connections are tight... but I would NEVER accuse my pumps of being reliable.

While running on the 24V charging circuit the first battery reads 13.5V and across both batteries reads 27.0V I don't follow how a battery that's being giving 13.5V (just like any 12V charging circuit) will drain.

EDIT:

After further research it seems this particular topic of getting 12V off a 24V system has been well hashed out elsewhere on the interwebs. Debate ensues regarding the affect on the "victim" battery but most threads boil down to the fact that its not likely to cause an issue, and any issue that *may* be caused can be remedied by periodically rotating the batteries. (this sounds like extra work. But if you don't think its going to be a problem, run with it.)

That comes out to 18 gal/hour or nearly 40 liters/hour. (I took this info, 3 gal a min. from the -34 TM.)

My experience with most diesel injection pumps is that excess volume is handled by simply routing it back to the tank. (Correct. This also cools and lubes the IP. Designed that way.) As long as you meet the minimum volume and keep the pressure as designed, going "over" on fuel volume doesn't cause an issue (unless that also causes a rise in pressure) (Correct again. That's never going to happen with this set, so a non problem)

The pumps I bought are rated for 30 GPH 5-9PSI... which means a single pump should have no problem keeping the injection pump supplied. (And that's good enough to go. And as long as its a flow through type, you can set it in series with the other pump and all is well. If its not flow through, everything is good too. Till one or the other stops.)

My installed pump was great (or so I thought) until I started to need to bang on it to get it to pump. Cleaned the grounds (do you have the serrated washers on both sides of the mounting hardware? Getting a good ground was always the problem with the E-Pumps. That's why CECOM went to a double serrated lock washer on the mounting of the pump. See the picture, item #27.) and it was great again... until it wasn't and I needed power.

North Maine

When I went down to a single pump I used two of the #27 washers. I also took out the wire wheel and got both the pump mounting ear and the surface it mates to polished to shiny metal... and that was only 3 days before it started acting up again.

Guyfang

Staff member
Well that may rule out ground. Do check the connection from battery's to frame. Often a problem. But I think you just have too much varnish in the pump. When you cleaned the pump, did you take it as far down as this attached picture? Most folks don't know you can screw item #11 out. Or that when item #4 is missing, the pump will not work.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks