• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How is everybody wiring there trailer brakes?

TurboTim

Just wondering how everybody is wiring there trailer brakes. I have my controller in the vehicle working. Just wondering if people are jumping the brake signal off of the headlight switch. Then I was also reading the circuit number is is there a wire number 53 for electric brakes in the back? What ever wire I use for the brake signal will just be actuating a relay so it will feed only 12v to my trailer brakes. I have also heard of people cutting the black out wire for the trailer connetor by the headlight switch and using that to run your brake power to the back.

Kohburn

for just lights you can splice lines in the rear into a relay box to send 12 volt signals.
for brake actuators you will need a brake controller getting a signal from your brake lights then sending the power to the rear plug to control the brake application on the trailer.

12 volt feed to brake controller, and relay box
24volt to 12 volt relays for brake lights and signals
12 volt line from the brake light relay to the brake controller input signal
12 volt line from the brake controller to the trailer plug
12 volt lines from the tail light, and signal relays to the trailer plug

my relay box is mounted by my hitch spliced into the original trailer wires with 2 wires going to the cab (12 volt feed and brake controller signal) - in the cab i have an additional relay to step the brake signal down at the brake controller.

hardest part is just finding the right wires to splice into

TurboTim

You must have skimmed my post or didn't read it at all. I already have my brake controller powered up. Just needed to know where people were getting the brake signal. I also said I would be using a relay so it didn't feed more then 12 volts. I also wanted to know how people were getting brake signal back to rear, if they were using blackout wire? I also just replace bulbs in rear with 24v ones. You mention the "hardest part is finding the right wires to splice into" and this is really what I need.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Your question can be answered by looking through "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this thread page. Lots of information has been written on this popular subject. Personally I'd put a splitter on one of the stoplight wires near one of the rear lights, and get my "brake signal" there.

TurboTim

Your question can be answered by looking through "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this thread page. Lots of information has been written on this popular subject. Personally I'd put a splitter on one of the stoplight wires near one of the rear lights, and get my "brake signal" there.
Just read through every topic on the bottom and none of them have any information that would help. I don't seem to be great at searching this forum. Does anyone know of any topics that would discuss what I need?

Last edited:

Kohburn

the brake light switch on the deuce is on the airpack instead of a pedal switch like most cars use. that would be the natural tap point.

you could probably trace that wire closer to the cab. There is a CAD file around of the deuce wiring with wire numbers if that might help

Last edited:

mikew

This is what you need.

In this case the person was getting 12 volts from the lower battery (battery balancer / dual alternator). You would connect the "To Battery 12V Tap" to your 12 volt source.

Attachments

mikew

Let me add that your brake controller needs a 12 volt brake signal, whereas your truck is 24 volt... you'll let the smoke out of the controllers wires if you hook it up directly, and we all know wire smoke is bad.

mikew

Yes, #75 works too. #22 is the feed to the turn signal switch, the other side of #75.
There are two #75 wires, as steelandcanvas said, get the one on pin "K".

TurboTim

Let me add that your brake controller needs a 12 volt brake signal, whereas your truck is 24 volt... you'll let the smoke out of the controllers wires if you hook it up directly, and we all know wire smoke is bad.
I already have a 12v system for the controller and I have the relay in place. Just needed the wire to tap so thank you. What about using the Black out wire for the power wire to trailer. I hear this is possible? I am currently using the black out wire for my fog lights but dont know where it splices to the back connector.

mikew

The blackout stoplight is wire #23, both at the 3-lever switch and rear composite lights and pin "F" on the 12 pin NATO trailer socket.

I assume you're using #20 / #21, blackout marker, for your fog lights.

mikew

How are you powering your brake controller?

I ask because I'm looking into various options for powering electric brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks