• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How is your M-818 tagged? Pls help

pistonring

I am the proud owner of a m-818 5 ton tractor from Ft Meade.:-D After installing a new battery and some air in a leaky tube and a turn signal wire repair I have a nice running truck. My initial plan was to get a military drop deck trailer to haul my antique farm tractors to local farm shows. I am finding that trailers over 10000 GVW require a CDL A and either commercial combination weight tags on the tractor or else farm tags. I should be able to use the farm tags as long as I am taking the old farm tractors to be fixed or tested. I can't afford commercial tags or insurance. Apparently in MD there is no provision for a historic tag for a trailer. I currently hold a CDL B with air brakes, so it looks like an upgrade is in order. I can tag the 818 as Historic but I don't think that I can pull a trailer with it. Farm looks like the only option. How do you guys have your 818's tagged? Lets hear from you. Deuce tractors and 900 series tractors should be seeing the same troubles. :roll: The farm tags will probably subject me to DOT and weigh stations, as well as those dumb ICC lights on top of the cab that i don't want to install. Also I will need the name and number on the door. Maybe a USDOT number too???? I have historic insurance for now, but have not done the title work. I will upgrade to farm insurance if I go with farm tags. How do you guys do it? Commercial? Historic? Farm? There was a nice 818 at Aberdeen in May with a 172 trailer loaded with a Ferret parked out by the Interstate. I don't remember how it was tagged. I am going to be non commercial unless I go with farm tags, then I will not be "for hire". How do youse guys stay legal??? :?: I know that there are a few DOT guys on here, and your input would be welcomed also. Help please.
Pistonring in Elkton MD

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I have mine tagged historic.Sneak around,avoid scales.I have a cdl class A license but refuse to tag it commercial only to use it a couple of times a year.Ill take my chances,I ve paid hefty fines before.

Be sure to talk to your local License agency before you try to get farm tag!!! The M172 is an overwidth trailer. Will require oversize permits or annual permits before putting on the road - these permits also have restrictions on days and time of day use and roads that can be used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks