• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long can you run without serpentine belt?

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a separate but related question to my thread on steering gear box blow out.

I want to move the truck a short distance but don't want to ruin the power steering pump as I can't keep up with fluid loss.

If I remove the belt the pump won't turn so I assume that will save the pump.

I understand this also won't turn the water pump so the concern is the engine.

How long do you think the engine can run before there might be an issue?

87cr250r

The problem is that there is no circulation so the heat stays at the highest point where it does the most damage, in the heads. Without flow your temperature sensor may not even see this heat. I would minimize the amount of time you run this engine in this condition. A few minutes at idle power would probably be ok but I wouldn't go any longer and keep your power level minimal.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had to I might run the engine, from dead cold, maybe 3-5 minutes at most. Probably wouldn't do it more than 1 minute if possible. Definitely wouldn't use much throttle.

It might be safe for longer periods of time than that, but the fact is running it for 1 minute, then letting it cool for 5-10 minutes, then one more minute of run, and repeating a few times, is a whole lot cheaper and less time consuming than replacing the motor.

Of course, that might just be my paranoia speaking, but doesn't seem worth it to me.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Related question.........how many people does it take to push a HMMWV 200 yards a little bit uphill LOL.

Sounds like I may just run it and then replace the oil pump along with steering box.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the block is full of coolant you can run it for a few minutes at idle as the block and coolant can soak up the initial heat. If you're just trying to get it up the hill 200 yards it wont hurt it but keep time and throttle to a minimum of course. I'd keep the belt on and toss in cheap fluid to get it in the shop. Diagnose from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks