• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long do you activate the glow plugs?

appalacious

I've seen this question asked quite a few times, but I haven't found the answer yet.

So all y'all with the manual gp switch. How long do you push that button? What about on a cold morning? summer morning? hot restart? etc.

Also, if I just switch the ground wire on the gp relay and leave the gp module hooked up otherwise- will the wait light tell me how long to press the button? As in, will it stay lit until they're hot enought, and then i let go when the light goes out?

I'm really just afraid of burning them out. Or on the other extremem, not lighting them long enough and burning out my starter or killing my batteries.

Thanks,
J

HAWKMAN

I'd think that 15-20 seconds should be enough but I could be wrong, my plugs click off at about that and my truck starts OK....just my 2cents worth:-D

SmokeyDod

It all depends on how on temp. of engine. As my general rule if truck has not been run overnight & temp. is above 40 deg F I normally just push in button & count to 10 (approx) 10-12 secs and try to start. If it don't fire after 10 sec, then I hold button again & count to 5 and try to start again. It all depends on how cold it is. Even in summer I hold button for 5-8 secs & it always starts up. Then after I cut it off and temp is 65 deg or up I uselly can could back 3-4 hrs later & it cranks without using glow plugs. Now if it real cold it might need to use GP in a couple of hrs. Time also is effected by cond. of your GP (like all working, and you some plugs heat up much quicker than others) BEST WAY is just try starting at 10=12 secs and go from there. I really wouldnt hold manuelly fo 20 or more secs because you run risk of them too hot & burning out or swelling. Just use shorter hold times until you get a feel for what you need. Other facts could also effect it such as what cond your IP is in and the stanadyne filter. Like does it hold the fuel line pressure up good etc. Hope it helps and I'm not saying way I do it is like everyone else. I buy and fix up and resale these. Right now I total of 8 trucks 2 blazers 2 M1031 shop trucks 1 M1010 and I've been through lots of trial & error. Smokey

M1075

Also, if I just switch the ground wire on the gp relay and leave the gp module hooked up otherwise- will the wait light tell me how long to press the button? As in, will it stay lit until they're hot enought, and then i let go when the light goes out?
Your wait light should function normally. Wait 'till the light goes out and fire her up!

SmokeyDod

I thought he has pushbutton switch like my truck. Since I don't have card in it my light don't work. Can I wire it in a way to make "wait light" work properly w/o gp card? Smokey

mangus580

I thought he has pushbutton switch like my truck. Since I don't have card in it my light don't work. Can I wire it in a way to make "wait light" work properly w/o gp card? Smokey
He does... I was being a smart ass.....

Really this question is a 'loaded' one. The amount of time the glow plugs need depends totally on the temperature of the engine. I have had my wait light take as long as 30 seconds... and as short as 5....

appalacious

today, after I was in the auto parts store for about 30 min. I came back out and the wait light didn't come on. I thought "hey, maybe I can just fire it up" but after 5-10 sec it didn't fire. I hit the gp's for about 5 sec and then it fired right up.

live and learn i guess. Maybe the wait light is useful mostly in the mornings.

Thanks guys,
J