• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How long's your chain?

sed6

How long's your chain that holds up your rear dropside (tailgate) on your cargo bed? Is it (they) long enough to allow your tailgate to sit horizontal if latched that way? Mine could be a little longer :| It's a link or two too short of allowing my tailgate to lay flat (flush) with my bed. Instead it creates a small upward ramp. I'm going to be hauling some long lumber soon and this new discovery is problematic as I need the load to sit flat.

There's no way to be sure but I doubt they've ever been shortened. Alternatively I thought about leaving the gate all the way down but that doesn't seem safe or smart. Ideas?

Thanks!

lindsey97

I just went outside and measured my m923a1 tailgate chain, at 18.5 inches. This was the links only, no latch or anything else in the measurement.

I can count links or let my tailgate down in the morning to see if it sets level, if you wish. Maybe your chain or chains are twisted, causing the tailgate to sit unlevel?

sed6

I just went outside and measured my m923a1 tailgate chain, at 18.5 inches. This was the links only, no latch or anything else in the measurement.

I can count links or let my tailgate down in the morning to see if it sets level, if you wish. Maybe your chain or chains are twisted, causing the tailgate to sit unlevel?
I'd appreciate you looking in the AM. I'm curious to see what others find as well. No twisting here, simply too short.

Truckoholic

Both of my M925A1's have had the same issue. Ramped up tail gate because the chains are too short. I figured I must be an idiot for even trying to suspend the tailgate by those chains, and that it must not have been intended to be used that way or something. Ha ha. So I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that wanted it to work that way. You can't just drive with the tail gate down, because it covers your tail lights. So it seems strange that they would be designed that way, unless they did it on purpose to keep stuff from sliding out the back too easy, by having the tail gate ramp up a little like that. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to putting some longer chains on there so it will sit flat.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I replaced my chains with nos ones off flea bay since one T screw was bent badly and the other seized up. I used a quick link to attach them from the chain section at home depot maybe the 3000lb one as it has been years. The tail gate sits almost level. maybe 1/2 droop because of the extra link. Have someone help keep the tailgate level and use the t bolt through the slot at the end of the tailgate and screw down.

Maybe cut the chain and use one quick link instead like I did?

sed6

I was considering adding a quick link or two. Prolly require two, one to replace the link I cut and another for the extra length. A little paint and no one will know. That'll least do until I learn how to weld.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine are slightly long leaving the tailgate a little below level. Mine are original and unmodified to my M923AØ. I twist each chain a single turn before hooking them and it falls perfectly level.

dawico

Mine are slightly long leaving the tailgate a little below level. Mine are original and unmodified to my M923AØ. I twist each chain a single turn before hooking them and it falls perfectly level.
This is my situation with my 923a2 but I think the tailgate was replaced at some point. The paint was flaking off way worse than the rest of the truck and the stops that are supposed to hit the bumperettes were in the wrong spot. I know that doesn't affect the chain length but maybe something with the tailgate slots is different or something.

One twist and the tailgate sits level.

My first thought was that you should cut them and add links as necessary. If you have the canvas chain covers the links could be easily hidden if that is an issue.

sed6

Well I finally got around to fixing my tailgate chain. Seems the chain needed to be moved down about 2" from its attachment point on the tailgate. This now allows the gate to land level with the bed and elim I mates the ramp at the end. I hit it with some paint after I took this pic.

Screenshot_2016-04-25-07-29-03.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I finally got around to fixing my tailgate chain. Seems the chain needed to be moved down about 2" from its attachment point on the tailgate. This now allows the gate to land level with the bed and elim I mates the ramp at the end. I hit it with some paint after I took this pic.

View attachment 619626
Looks good!
Mine are just s bit short also, but works for what I use them for.

sed6

Looks like you learned! (I need to re-learn welding myself.)
I wish. There's a convenient muffler shop down the road. The guys have done several small projects for me includong a half dozen on my truck. Shortly, maybe tomorrow, i need them to weld a nut to the back of the engine for my dual fuel line mod and a week later I'll use them again to tack the small access hole in the doghouse back in place.

20160423_194811_001.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks