• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many 9 series trucks are left for auction??

I know no one is certain of the number left. Some guys in the past have always been pretty accurate on the amount of trucks that are through or coming up for auction. When the M35a2's were going through there were times 100's were up for auction, it lasted on and off for a few years. Then the M35a3's came along, seemed like they were only around for a couple of years and not nearly as many were available. Now there is rarely if ever either of those available. Now comes the ?, are we somewhere in the middle of the 939 series trucks, or are we nearing the completion of the run. I know it's not a perfect guess as to the amount coming down the pike but smarter guys than me may have some good info to comment on.
I have been on the sidelines waiting to pull the trigger on one, thinking it might be good to make some plans now rather than wait till the last minute.
Thanks, Mark

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe there are still PILES of them in the system. There have been only a few A2s that got let go so far, so there's a whole 'nother batch that we haven't even seen yet.

cumminsbandit

well.. a wile back, my dad talked to a guy that talked to a guy that must know a little of whats goin on... so i heard that about 95% of the m35a2 are gone and about 50% of the 900's are gone and they are going to try and pound the majority of the rest of them out this year yet!!! how that for a rumor?! scary!

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
My local guard unit is a motor pool and they don't have any 900s anymore they have all new lmtv trucks. The Marines will probably the last to have the 900s we used to go on joint ops with the Army our equipment was years behind theirs but we still got the job done with it.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember correctly, the US military procured about 38,000 M939/A1/A2 trucks over the years. I would go out on a limb and say that most of these have not come out yet. From what I understand, there is a lot of paperwork involved when turning in vehicles, so all of the talk of furloughs and meetings about furloughs that have been going on have been getting in the way of any real work that might actually get done in the government. Processing vehicle turn-ins being one of them. It would also not surprise me to see more vehicles come out on scrap sales this year, because that is a far quicker and easier process for getting rid of trucks (from what I am told). Either way, they are not dried up *yet*. Of course, who knows how many have gone to foreign governments and are being left overseas. The number could be much lower than any of us think.

The USMC has been procuring and using MTVRs from Oshkosh for quite some time. There are probably a bunch of M939 trucks still in use and more are probably being stored somewhere, but there have been a TON of them cut loose over the last 3 years. They do seem to be the red-headed step children when it comes to equipment, though. :D

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are still 900 series trucks in some of the Reserve and Guard units near me. Units have to have new trucks on the ground before they turn in the older trucks. This is where funding comes in since some units are way down on the totem pole for getting their TO&E upgraded. It is entirely possible that there are some dueces still in the system due to their low priority. There are also a lot of these trucks being used on military bases by the civilian support personnel. I go to Fort McClellan occasionally and I know they are still using an 800 series dump truck there.

Scarecrow1

A search on the web indicated that there were only 32,000 ever produced for the military. And that includes the a1 and a2's. At the number that has been sold at times being as many as 300 a month It won't atke to long to hit bottom. What is not in our favor is the fact that the Deuce was in production for decades the 900,s three years at best. In my view we have seen the bulk of the 900,s already sold. I base this also on what is see on the military yards in my area is NO Deuces 2# 800,s in Cheraw and one 900 in Timmonsville, SC. The bulk of what is on the yards I see are the FMTV,s . I followed the prices for over a year before I pulled the trigger on mine in November of last year. Since then the prices have been going up almost half again what I paid for mine. If you are looking to get one I wouldn't wait any longer for I feel like if they have many more it is possible they will keep then around for random uses just like the few Deuces and 800s they have on hand.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
well.. a wile back, my dad talked to a guy that talked to a guy that must know a little of whats goin on... so i heard that about 95% of the m35a2 are gone and about 50% of the 900's are gone and they are going to try and pound the majority of the rest of them out this year yet!!! how that for a rumor?! scary!
That ain't gonna happen.

99.5% is probably closer on the M35A2's is probably closer with virtually zero in active service (maybe at a school unit or in a base support function). But actually here is the problem with the question. There is a huge difference between active service, awaiting disposition and disposition provided awaiting transport.

The problem with getting rid of the 900 series trucks is direct or indirect costs of moving them out. This has been discussed before on separate threads.

Second problem is there is a huge difference in numbers on hand of slick, A1 and A2 series. The majority of remaining trucks are A2's. We are not at the end, nor the beginning of the end, but we are probably just at the end of the beginning.

CARNAC says 2018 to be at the same point in the 900A2s compared to where we are at with the M35A2s now.

Sephirothq

Where are we with the 800 series.

That ain't gonna happen.

99.5% is probably closer on the M35A2's is probably closer with virtually zero in active service (maybe at a school unit or in a base support function). But actually here is the problem with the question. There is a huge difference between active service, awaiting disposition and disposition provided awaiting transport.

The problem with getting rid of the 900 series trucks is direct or indirect costs of moving them out. This has been discussed before on separate threads.

Second problem is there is a huge difference in numbers on hand of slick, A1 and A2 series. The majority of remaining trucks are A2's. We are not at the end, nor the beginning of the end, but we are probably just at the end of the beginning.

CARNAC says 2018 to be at the same point in the 900A2s compared to where we are at with the M35A2s now.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Same as the M35A2 situation.

There was a thread on here about the excess situation with soft skinned vehicles in the military and it had a news report and quotes from the military about getting rid of the older stuff. It would be very easy to say "Make this disappear" but there is a lot of other things that come into play after that (as already discussed in other threads). Intent will be that if it doesn't have armor, it won't be kept.

91W350

We still have lots full of trucks at Riley, parked bumper to bumper, mirror to mirror, row after row. A lot of 800s still, but they are rough!! Most of the 939 series trucks we have been seeing have fluids drained. For some reason, draining fluids also includes the removal of the air filter and throwing the lid and element either in the bed or the cab, leaving the intakes open for anything that comes or blows along. A lot of these trucks have been sitting for over seven years. We have a lot of trucks there to sort our way through, but the good running trucks are a lot harder to come across here. I still see deuces in around the state, not at Riley though. It will be interesting to see how fast they start disposing of these trucks. I heard they have 3,000 plus 939 series over there now being processed out. I will keep buying what we can and see what the future has in store for us. Glen

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Someone else may be in a better position in the near future to confirm but was told DRMO has a new computer system that came on line last year. Some vehicles are "lost in etherspace" because of system glitches. The field folks have reported the vehicles and the system shows they are report to higher but higher is not getting the data/info so is unaware they are sitting and awaiting disposition. Again, this needs to be confirmed from another source.

Otherwise, you still have the direct/indirect costs situation with 2nd and 3rd order effects.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then the earliest of the FMTVs will start coming out, but that's a ways off. Plus with reset/rebuild programs, and defense dollars always short, more and more trucks will be sent through them to provide like-new trucks to the DoD at a savings over new ones. So the majority of the HEMTTs, FMTVs, LMTVs, etc. will be saved and rebuilt, rather than surplussed out.

Surplus trucks will always be available, but the fact is, the trucks that are being surplussed out now were from a massive build-up during the Cold War, and once the trucks that we enjoy now are all sold off, there are fewer trucks out there built post-USSR that we will be able to own. SO, smaller supply of trucks, lesser supply, leads to greater demand for what does come out, ie more money down the road.

So buy what you can now, who knows what the future brings.

flibob

I saw someone say 300 per month. I don't know could be. Also a total of 32 -39000 total vehicles. 36000 (a round number) at 300 per month is 10 years. THERE ARE ALOT MORE. Let the junk go to the scraper and save your hard earned cash for the good one that is coming .

emr

Just an fyi, No 9 series truck, i think it safe to say its the 939 series , as for the 800s , that would be the 809 series. :) As cool as this site is, i do get a kick out of making up numbers that are not correct. :) just cooler to use the correct ID , Makes one sound like they know what they are talking about also. :)

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It has not been mentioned yet in this thread. But the M939 series is very popular with the foreign military sales (FMS) folks. There are tons of M939s in service with foreign countries and many more to go to FMS sales. FMS will take a very large bite out of the available M939s. And remember they are in line before GL to get their pick of the better trucks.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is not in our favor is the fact that the Deuce was in production for decades the 900,s three years at best.
Technically, a decade, from 1983 to 1993 for all variants. :)

It has not been mentioned yet in this thread. But the M939 series is very popular with the foreign military sales (FMS) folks. There are tons of M939s in service with foreign countries and many more to go to FMS sales. FMS will take a very large bite out of the available M939s. And remember they are in line before GL to get their pick of the better trucks.
I think I mentioned that in post #6... :D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I've noticed that the pickins are getting very slim at my favorite GL honey hole. I was up there Tuesday and there were very few trucks/trailers on the yard. Last year at this time the DRMO lot was packed and the GL lot was standing room only. My guess is that sequestration has cut down funds to ship vehicles to regional sales yards. My M927 came from FL (I'm sure the taxpayers took a hit on shipping on that deal) and there were trucks from all over the country when the lot was full. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why they send FL trucks up here to sell when they have sales lots all over that state.:cookoo: They have also sent trucks up here from Camp Shelby, MS when they were selling trucks there every week. It is no surprise to me that the gooberment is 16 trillion in debt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks