• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many amps to trip the main breakers?

pahunter

What does it actually take to trip them on a 002a or a 016E? What are the breakers officially rated for? I'm afraid to push mine to much to find out for myself.

Isaac-1

I don't know on the MEP-002a off hand, but was just looking at the information in the TM for the MEP-016b (the MEP-016e is a 016b that has been retrofitted with a Yanmar L100 engine), it is a bit of an odd breaker as the amperage is different for L1&L2 than for L3 this way it can be used for both single and 3 phase modes without any adjustment, the trip ratings are:

the instant relay trip points are:
between 54-70 amps on L1&L2
between 45-54 amps on L3

pahunter

Why would they design it that way. Why not have a second breaker with a reasonable capacity say, 30 amps so troops using them would get some warning before they ruin the unit, then have a switch to bypass the reasonable breaker if you are desperate for more power?

Isaac-1

My best guess is this way you get more amps, and therefore a higher trip point when in 1 phase mode, than when in 3 phase mode.

PeterD

Why would they design it that way. Why not have a second breaker with a reasonable capacity say, 30 amps so troops using them would get some warning before they ruin the unit, then have a switch to bypass the reasonable breaker if you are desperate for more power?
Done like that because a breaker on a three phase generator set must break all three phases (to prevent possible damage to three phase loads and also to prevent a safety problem.)

I've seen similar setups as well, where one of the three phases was rated lower than the other two.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks