• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many gallons of 383 to paint a M1078 w/troop seats

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting to get together my plans to paint my truck green and eventually camo, and just wondering from those of you that have painted a M1078......how many gallons of paint should I orcer?

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starting to get together my plans to paint my truck green and eventually camo, and just wondering from those of you that have painted a M1078......how many gallons of paint should I orcer?
Like, John Deere green? I think there is another thread with a blueprint on how to accomplish that. Hahahaha

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've painted a dozen M1078s and Behr Marquee Exterior Flat is the way to go. 5 gallons 383 green if you're doing everything exterior and one more gallon if you want to do inside the frame. 383 Brown I recommend the Rapco rattle cans and you will use 3 or 4 for the truck. Black, use Rustolium huntrng camo black as it's flat and holds its color i.e. doesn't gray with UV and time. You will use way more black than brown on these trucks.

I did this one about 2 years ago. It still looks clean and sharp.

274097912_10166237038155578_513003694460008186_n.jpg

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've painted a dozen M1078s and Behr Marquee Exterior Flat is the way to go. 5 gallons 383 green if you're doing everything exterior and one more gallon if you want to do inside the frame. 383 Brown I recommend the Rapco rattle cans and you will use 3 or 4 for the truck. Black, use Rustolium huntrng camo black as it's flat and holds its color i.e. doesn't gray with UV and time. You will use way more black than brown on these trucks.

I did this one about 2 years ago. It still looks clean and sharp.

View attachment 898785
Thanks Fuzzy Toaster. Did you thin the Behr with anything or just 5 gallons?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Fuzzy Toaster. Did you thin the Behr with anything or just 5 gallons?
No thinning on the Behr. I want it to apply thick(er) to imitate the CARC and help fill in any scrapes it may have gained over the years. I used an airless sprayer with a 5 gallon bucket to keep application consistent and it helps keep me in my groove when painting. I despise having to take breaks to refill paint, answer the phone, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks