• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many men does it take to load a 1/2 ton of tires?

tjcouch

So I was thinking that the FL rally might be a good time for me to sell the "street" tires that came on my truck (Goodyear 286s 11X20) . . . . but I, being a single guy with no strapping sons to help, was in a quandary as to how to go about getting into the truck.

I have a loader at work . . . but trailering it home to lift 6 tires 5 feet into the air seemed overly complex . . . I have a chain hoist at work too . . . but that would take FOREVER . . . so I decided on using a good ole fashioned block and tackle and my oak tree.

So I posted up on my Jeep club site hoping to borrow one, but no one seemed to have one to lend.

I decided to check the Northern Tool site to see how much they run . . . after all . . .what self-respecting man should be without a block and tackle?

The first picture that came up was a snatch block - and I thought, "Well heck, I have one of those in my off road kit . . . you know, the one sitting in the back of your Jeep . . . the same Jeep that has an 8K winch with synthetic line on the front of it. DOH!" I then slapped my forehead in v-8 fashion, put on a jacket and headed outside. (The jacket came off about the time I walked across the yard to open the gate.)

Knucleboom, smuchleboom!

I used crapcam to take the pics, but you get the idea.

Attachments

ATC

I had to muscle a 50-gallon air compressor into the back of my Deuce singlehandedly about 2 weeks ago. That was fun :roll:

FreightTrain

Banned
Should have seen me loading tires and wheel in the bed of my deuce.I used a combination of Car ramp,Rangers,deuce,Tailgates,and wood blocks.I put the car ramp down behind the ranger,Rolled tire up on the ramp then up on the bed.Repeat till I had about 5 in there(Note to self...ranger.......Not a good truck to pick to carry a full set of tires....5 had it MAXED).Then backed the ranger up to the bed of the deuce.Put the ramp on the tailgate of the ranger with a block of wood(Railroad tie cut off) behind it for a little more height.Rolled them up in the deuce.Done.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used four pallets. Put two down with an offset to one side (not directly on top of each other) parallel to the open tailgate, rolled the tire up onto both and over to the far edge (of the bottom pallet), rested the tire against the tailgate and put the third pallet where I had just rolled the tire. Ran the tire back and up on the third pallet, rested it again and added the fourth pallet. With the tire on top of the fourth pallet, I was able to get underneath it and push it all the way into the bed. I would have used a car ramp and a fifth pallet, but they were buried under other stuff, and I was in a hurry.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hehe, we once removed a suburban body using a tree, winch and snatch block. I think JW4x4 was there at the time. The owner of the business was not at all pleased when he returned with some potential customers to find a rusty suburban body hangin from tree near the parking lot.

jw4x4

That was priceless. After all, TIMING is everything. I just wish we had taken pics of some of the stuff we did.
As far as winching stuff from a tree, before Recovry4x4 got his crane, he used a chain hoist and TWO trees. On heavy lifts, the tops of the trees would cross! As previously stated, ya' do what ya' gotta do!!!

Jakob

The largest most bulky thing I have put into my Deuce was a stripped Blazer frame (rotted out). I used a combination of HD ratchet straps and 4x4's.

The most redneck thing I've ever done was on the same Blazer. The body was rotted really bad, so I put a tow strap through the windows and yanked the whole body off sideways with my pickup :razz:. Funniest part is, the windshield popped out in one piece without a crack when it rolled, lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks