• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many miles are on it?

GuntherRommel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1123 Serial # 186*** . 13 miles at time of IROAN in 11/09. Odometer read 24 when I got it. Underneath and engine looks great but not sure I can believe it sat that long ? Sorry if its a stupid question.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1123 Serial # 186*** . 13 miles at time of IROAN in 11/09. Odometer read 24 when I got it. Underneath and engine looks great but not sure I can believe it sat that long ? Sorry if its a stupid question.
My 2002 M1123 showed 132 miles when I got it. I didn’t believe it either but as I started to check it out I found a sticker on the air filter and it was dated 04/02 and the engine oil that I changed look as good as what I put in. Tires had tits on them and they were marked 2002. Nuts and bolts are new and fuel tank was clean inside.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the hub inspection plate and check the big gear. If it has any significant miles it would show on the gear, easy to get to. With the indicated miles there should be almost no wear pattern. MY 2 cents.

tgejesse

My 2002 M1123 showed 132 miles when I got it. I didn’t believe it either but as I started to check it out I found a sticker on the air filter and it was dated 04/02 and the engine oil that I changed look as good as what I put in. Tires had tits on them and they were marked 2002. Nuts and bolts are new and fuel tank was clean inside.
Same exact scenario here except tires dated 2006. Are these good to go?! (I’m kidding)

Attachments

GuntherRommel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the hub inspection plate and check the big gear. If it has any significant miles it would show on the gear, easy to get to. With the indicated miles there should be almost no wear pattern. MY 2 cents.
Refill with 80w90 ? need to get supplies Thanks

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Marines had more trucks than they could use, and weren't breaking them fast enough to need all the spares they had.
Then they started getting ECV/REV trucks, and weren't breaking them fast enough to dip into the stockpile of older trucks.

So yes, many of these trucks really don't have any miles on them.
However, many of them went through rebuild (either full rebuild or IROAN (Inspect, Repair Only As Necessary)) and have rebuilt engines/transmissions in them.
For example, my truck is a 183XXX serial number, went through rebuild in 2010, and has an engine with a casting number on the block indicating it was manufactured originally in 2005. So no way to verify how many miles were on some of the parts, but the rebuild shows at 26 miles and at pickup it had 32.

blutow

Another marine truck here that showed 22 miles at Iroan and 32 miles when I got it. Many aspects of the truck appear new (undercarriage, pedals, fasteners, etc.), but the truck had obviously been transported multiple times with paint wear on the shackles and scuffed up paint and dings in places. There were also a few dings in the truck bed, maybe from throwing stuff in the bed during transit or maybe the truck actually saw some use and the odometer is wrong.

my other uneducated guess is that these iroan trucks end up with a mash up of parts. My geared hubs are a bit dinged up(but repainted) compared to the rest of the truck. One of my removable rear floor/seat panels is beat to crap from wear and the other is in really good shape. The tail gate has the 2 common dents/dimples on it from banging against the shackles when opened. Iam guessing when theygo through the iroan process, they are grabbing from a pile of parts for some items as they are reassembling. Just a guess, but clearly some of the parts on my truck show some use and some aspects of the truck appear unworn.

JetbikeAnt

My guess is they changed the Odometer when they replaced the Motor to kind of keep track of it. My 2003 M1045A2 had 3200 miles on it and it looked like a new Engine and Tranny was installed, but when I looked under the Hood it was cracked and repaired in multiple spots. I wish it had the GEP Motor, but the new 6.5 GM that was installed now runs great after I went through it.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Refill with 80w90 ? need to get supplies Thanks
80/90 is good IMO if you are fording creeks and such, change it regularly, no sense in expensive synthetics. I might point you to ARMY LO 9-2320-280-12 good reading. And FYI, these things have silicone brake fluid in them. DO NOT mix it with any other type! Beautiful part of the country you live in, been thru there several times.

blutow

My guess is they changed the Odometer when they replaced the Motor to kind of keep track of it. My 2003 M1045A2 had 3200 miles on it and it looked like a new Engine and Tranny was installed, but when I looked under the Hood it was cracked and repaired in multiple spots. I wish it had the GEP Motor, but the new 6.5 GM that was installed now runs great after I went through it.
Maybe, but the IROAN plates all show mileage at the time of IROAN. Unless they are replacing the odometer just prior to IROAN for some reason, I'd assume that mileage on the IROAN plate is reflective of the odometer before they replaced the engine or did any other IROAN work. I'm not sayig that pre-IROAN mileage is right or wrong, but that it likely reflects what was showing on the odometer when it rolled in. For many of these trucks with 20-30 miles showing on the IROAN plate, it's pretty irrelevant if they replaced the odometer during IROAN since there were essentially no miles on the odometer to begin with.

I also ended up with a melton rebuild with a GM block and it runs great. I was hoping for a GEP, but suspected it wasn't a GEP since there was no valve cover label pic in the auction like they often do with the GEP motors. From what I saw watching GP auctions, the "known" GEP rebuilds pushed the auction price up more than it mattered to me. Yes, I'd rather have a GEP, but I wouldn't pay thousands more for one.

blutow

As I get to know my truck as I sort things out, I try to pick up signs of how it might have been used and what was serviced during the IROAN process. They must have sprayed multiple gallons of black paint on everything underneath. The gas tank is mostly painted black. There are wire bundles with so much paint that the wires are are all just fused together by the paint. All the hoses underneath have so much paint on them it's hard to determine the condition of the rubber.

My truck doesn't show any real wear from use, but it definitely has signs of being moved with lots of paint wear on the shackles and tie down points. It clearly wasn't just sitting still since 2009. On the lower rockers right behind the B pillar on both sides, the paint is worn through and the metal is shiny and polished like a tie down strap rubbed on that area for a long time. I don't know what my truck would have been loaded on or why a strap would be used in that area, but maybe someone has an idea. Here's a picture of the spot where something seemed to be rubbing the rocker panel underneath.

1648525543074.png

Reactions: OBX

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember back in about 2006 or 2007 a contractor company came to our motorpool and sprayed undercoating on every vehicle we had. Took them a couple of weeks.

The polished and shiny areas not sure about. Can't see why anything would go there that would rub through the paint, unless the guys doing the CARC and undercoating managed to screw up with taping off their respective areas.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I get to know my truck as I sort things out, I try to pick up signs of how it might have been used and what was serviced during the IROAN process. They must have sprayed multiple gallons of black paint on everything underneath. The gas tank is mostly painted black. There are wire bundles with so much paint that the wires are are all just fused together by the paint. All the hoses underneath have so much paint on them it's hard to determine the condition of the rubber.

My truck doesn't show any real wear from use, but it definitely has signs of being moved with lots of paint wear on the shackles and tie down points. It clearly wasn't just sitting still since 2009. On the lower rockers right behind the B pillar on both sides, the paint is worn through and the metal is shiny and polished like a tie down strap rubbed on that area for a long time. I don't know what my truck would have been loaded on or why a strap would be used in that area, but maybe someone has an idea. Here's a picture of the spot where something seemed to be rubbing the rocker panel underneath.

View attachment 863037
Think "fork lift".

blutow

Think "fork lift".
There are a couple scratches underneath that might be from forks, but not these worn down sections. These sections are polished to almost mirror finish like someone ran a polishing wheel on them for a long time, no scratches. I think the metal is actually worn down a bit from whatever was rubbing there. My guess is a big tie down ratchet strap of some kind, but I don't see how it would be from tying the truck down, more like holding something down in the truck with the ratchet strap looping under the truck. The location is just odd that it's almost perfectly aligned with the B pillar. If they were trying to hold down stuff in the truck bed, you'd think the straps would be positioned further back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks