• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many troops in a m939

acme66

Something I have wondered about idly for some time now. How many troops did the military figure a 939 with troop seats would hold? Did they have a design specification or just cram them in until it is full?

Ken

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhere in the TMs there is a statement that an M51 dump truck can LEGALLY carry 12 persons in the back when troop seats are installed. Presumably this is only for standard OTR driving under peace-time conditions. As Carnac said, once of the road into battle all bets are off.

HELP. Now we are talking about it. The statement for the amount of troops in the back of an M51. I know I had that one page (or two pages max) but I cannot find it back and neither the link or location. Anybody an idea where I can find that again?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I did a quick search of the top secret website (you know, Google) and found this with the search terms 'Troop Capacity Army Vehicles' and here ya go. It didn't copy and paste that well but here it is.

TB 9-639

DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY TECHNICAL BULLETIN

PASSENGER-CARRYING CAPACITY OF TACTICAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE VEHICLES COMMONLY USED TO TRANSPORT PERSONNEL

Headquarters, Department of the Army, Washington, D.C. 9 NOVEMBER 1988

This manual supersedes TB ORD-639 dated 15 May 1956

1. Purpose. The purpose of this bulletin is to provide information to authorized personnel on the

passenger-carrying capacities of tactical and administrative vehicles commonly used to transport personnel.

2. General. The passenger-carrying capacities listed below are for normal passenger-carrying operations and

are consistent with safety policies and design features of the vehicles. The passenger capacities apply only

when the vehicle is properly equipped with permanent or temporary seats.

3. Passenger-carrying capacities

NOTE

The passenger capacity indicated does not include the operating crew.

Passenger-Capacity

Vehicle

a.

2 1/2 Ton Cargo Truck

2 1/2 Ton Extended Cargo Body Trucks

2 1/2 Ton Dump Trucks

5 Ton Cargo Trucks

5 Ton Extended Cargo Body Trucks

5 Ton Dump Trucks

5/4 Ton HMMWV Troop Carrier

5/4 Ton HMMWV Cargo/Troop Carrier

5/4 Ton M880, M881, M882

Semitrailer Personnel Van

b. Passengers, who are not crew members and carried in the cab of the vehicle, are limited to available seat

belt positions.

c. The passenger capacity of sedans, vans, station wagons, and other administrative vehicles is limited to

the number of seat belt positions.

d. Refer to the operator's manual and AR 385-55 for vehicles not listed. Do not crowd passengers on bench

type seats in cargo beds.

e. Passengers may be transported on post without fixed seats for short distances, under 10 miles,

provided each passenger remains seated wholly within the body and the body is equipped with stakes or

sideboards. Canvas tops will be in place with sides rolled down when cargo space is used for passengers.

NOTE

The driver is responsible for the safety of the personnel riding on their

vehicle. Drivers will refuse to move a vehicle if anyone is in an unsafe

position or the vehicle has too many passengers.

Approved for public release; distribution is unlimited.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From personal experience as talking cargo in the Marines - cram 'em in til its full.

Same went for our CH-53Ds when I later went to the Air Wing - if I recall correctly, we had seat belts for 32 troops, but I know on at least one trip, I did a manifest for 65 fully equipped infantrymen. All that would fit on the seats did, the rest sat on the floor.

Cheers

Barfkiller

More than once I was considered "cargo" with 25 or 30 others in the back of a 5 ton. When the trucks had no cover the drivers side was preferred to avoid smelling large amounts of exhaust! Of course sitting on the troop seat on the passenger side was better then sitting on the steel bed in the middle. (especially after the truck had recently been used to transport something that leaked all over the bed)

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carnac, I could find the summary also but what I was talking about - if I remember correctly - is a document specifically and only referring to the M51 dump truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks