• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how much brake fluid is in the system

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to replace some brake lines and putting new brake fluid (DOT 5) in my M51A2. How much liquid does the system needs when completely draining it and refilling?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tomorrow I will be flushing the system. All but one line are new (they did not have enough material and the line was ok). I have 2 litres of new DOT 5 (at $40 a liter)

- I will pump out the reservoir and remaining line BEFORE reinstalling the new lines. Also try to empty all cylinders by opening the bleeding nipples. Since the linses are not coonected, the cylinders should empty themselves on gravity?

- Then fill the reservoir with DOT 5, close all nipples and then start pumping out the cilinders, starting with the rear rear left niple open, close left then open right, , close rear right and open mid right etc etc .... and working forward, keep adding DOT 5 fluid.

I would think that would do the trick to get the system clean and fresh. Did I forget something?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plan on about a half gallon.
With the 5-ton, only flushing the first lines already took about 1/3 gallon. By the time I am ready, it will be about 2/3s or more (about 2 /12 to 3 liter). I raced out Saturday afternoon to get two more liters to be sure I have enough.

Lesson (which I keep forgetting): when you finally are in a shop that has the parts or the oil, please make sure you buy enough for your needs .... and then buy some extra. Same with the flexible brake hoses. I bought only one to replace a damaged one, I should have bought at least all hoses for both rear axles. That one shop is 80 miles away from here. At fuel prices of EIGHT US Dollar a liter, that hurts. auaaua

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My bad, I didn't see your location. I figured you'd just pick up a gallon from a surplus dealer. Probably not so easy over there.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No. This shop was the only that has it on stock, nobody has these nut for brakelines, nobody has US size threads on screws or bolts etc etc. A real pain when you have a US MV