• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much did you pay for your M998/humvee?

Sintorion

Can't you go inspect a GP humvee before the auctipn date?
They are not the most accommodating. When I first inquired I was told no because it was on base an you can't get on. Well I happen to have a military ID so that isn't an issue. Then I was told that there was only a certain day and time during the week. I did talk to the guys at DRMO of a nearby base that said I they would let me take a peek. I wasn't actually looking to buy, but wanted to see where some wires went. I think on some bases IP moves them to their off site facilities. Those might be easier to get into.

StackJ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought two from "GP", one running but bad tranny and one wrecked. These will be parts/off road beater vehicles. $8.2k including fees. I bought one from a vendor who advertises on SS for $16,500 - in excellent shape, in fact, very very good shape for an 89.

capnstinky

My first one was a "runner" that ended up needing a cylinder head, an injector, a flasher, a turn signal switch, a washer pump, a brake light switch, a light switch, doors, seats, a fuel gauge, an oil sender a wiper motor and other things that I am sure I am forgetting. It was 5k plus fees, shipping and entirely too much money for parts and days of labor wrenching on them. Not to mention $750 for a good head and a valve job on both banks. It still needs a bit of this and that including paint to be pretty.

#2 I called the GP employee at the base who said it just needed a starter so I got that one for 5k plus all of the fees and shipping. Got it home....starter was fine, engine was seized. That one was updated in Maine in 07 with a GEP 6.5 also. What a shame. I scored a 6.2 new in the crate for a small fortune which I will be installing next month and god knows what else I will find wrong with it after I get it running. I will most likely sell one and if I'm lucky I'll break even. This doesn't even include the title fun times or paying myself minimum wage for my time and labor.

ryanruck

Bought my 1994 M998A1 from GP last January when prices were a bit higher due to a lot of the initial excitement remaining. "Out the door" ended up paying $10,250. Was looking for one regional to me so I could pick it up. Got it from Ft. Campbell.

Was a very solid looking truck. 4 man A1 (10k drivetrain), started easily, ran well, good oil pressure, no leaks, dual voltage alternator, high back seats up front, pioneer kit. Only downside was a broken mirror and it had so much dirt in it it looked like it had been used as a dump truck!

Spent $750 picking it up due to unforeseen equipment rental costs when the truck I was supposed to borrow fell through but I wanted my truck right NOW after the paperwork cleared. :mrgreen: (As a side note, U-Haul truck rental is highway robbery at $0.69/mile! :eek:)

Got back the title costs I paid for after Florida quit giving them out and I opted to just go with the SF97 and, got back $400 due to an undisclosed leaking heater core.

Have spent $8,000-$9,000 on things such as routine stuff any 23 year old truck would need like seals, hoses, filters, fluids plus, upgrades that I really wanted like MRAP seats, 24 bolts with MTRs, an Ibis Tek front bumper, rear airlift bumper and Rhino carrier, S3 upgrade, Lizardskin and Monstaliner in the tub, LED lighting all around, paint, MRAP heater, front winch, and several other things.

Still not quite done. Have onboard air to install, rear winch to buy and install, cargo rack to have fabbed, MRAP light kit to install, A/C to buy and install, half doors, and a lightweight bimini/bikini style top to have made just to name a few things. I'm figuring all said and done I'll have somewhere in the neighborhood of $25k in it.

Overall I feel like I got a decent initial price on the truck considering where the market was when I bought it and what it came with and, I feel like even after sinking all the extra money into it I'm still getting a good deal compared to something like a $40k tricked out Jeep Wrangler Unlimited or diesel brodozer.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All I can say is to be patient, look at a zillion different listings pictures and videos to learn to pick up on hints and details. Look at auction dates that have multiple ones listings that day and you can be lucky. Choose one in the middle of the day's listings. First and last ones sell higher.

I knew from looking at auctions in LA for 6 months that tan 2 man cargos went cheaper than 4 man camo. Almost all 4 mans had no doors or missing some soft doors. Paint and color was not a hang up for me. A 2 man can be converted to 4 man quite easily for a few $ if you look in the right places. Hint, use your fellow ss members and again be patient on epay.

I am not going to tell you what I paid as most of the board will hate me afterwards but I won the hmmwv lottery and got a great unit very reasonable. Needed 2 batteries, windshield washer pump, fan relay, one soft door ( actually rebent the one preztel thrown in the back straight again), and a glow plug thermal sending unit. Drove it home 4 hours after being prepared to tow/trailer.

:tank:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have purchased all my hmmwv's from Barstow/ yermo, I was getting very very nice trucks from there, just stayed away from the Tan trucks as they all came from NTC. The last few buys have been rough to say the least.
yesterday going over a new arrival, I found it has a brand new GEP 6.5 installed...the entire truck went through reset, the chassis is MINT, the body no so...needs 2 rear fenders, hood repair or replacement. I have the fenders, it's just a crap ton of work, but the truck is a speed demon, rather impressed with it.
The Other truck I knew had a 6.5 GEP with 200amp gen and it too went through reset, body looks like someone painted it with a paint brush....THICK.

Doug Roberts

Let's be clear about this ... rescued surplus=wholesale , after that, it's a retail transaction. The expectation of someone who wants to purchase MVs for the same price that someone else rescued one off Gov Planet is absurd. I am seeing this all the time! When the hammer falls, you gotta pay, plus 10% to GP, $60 SF97, transport it , and start pouring time and money into it until it's healthy again. If that's what you can do, go for it.

Hum to the Vee

I have purchased all my hmmwv's from Barstow/ yermo, I was getting very very nice trucks from there, just stayed away from the Tan trucks as they all came from NTC. The last few buys have been rough to say the least.
yesterday going over a new arrival, I found it has a brand new GEP 6.5 installed...the entire truck went through reset, the chassis is MINT, the body no so...needs 2 rear fenders, hood repair or replacement. I have the fenders, it's just a crap ton of work, but the truck is a speed demon, rather impressed with it.
The Other truck I knew had a 6.5 GEP with 200amp gen and it too went through reset, body looks like someone painted it with a paint brush....THICK.
I know this is an question on an old thread, but for the life of me I can't figure out what "NTC" refers to.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
National Training Center.

Trucks there typically get rode hard and put away wet.
And unlike a vehicle assigned to your unit, NTC vehicles are more or less "homeless".
Think snatched and jerked around. Used and walked away from with not a care in the world...

McNulty

I paid $6,700 plus fees for a tan troop carrier in June 16'. Was in excellent condition with nothing broken.

Paid $8,700 plus fees for 4 door camo in Oct 16'. Needed headlight, doors, top, runs good.

I feel I got lucky.
wow, $6,700 and it was running with no issues? that is very lucky. do you recall how many bids were on it before it sold?