• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much do 395s weigh?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen these listed at 300 lbs each with the wheel from the GL listing, and I have seen them as much as 480 lbs from a reseller. They are 395 85R20s.

Can anyone give me a warm fuzzy that the 300 lbs each estimate is the real number? I will be picking 8 of these up with a repurposed single axle 14' boat trailer and will be a little over my comfort level at the 300 lbs each mark.

Second question is what type of wheels are these. I though it was a HEMMT but it has 20 bolts instead of 18 holding it together and I thought the HEMMT was flat without the offset for the 10 lugs.

Thinking of machining out the center and create an adaptor plate using the 20 bolts to make a three piece wheel, but that is another thread in the future.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heavy enough, it took all my muscle to lift one of those into my truck. I'd say 250-300 easy, especially if all the tread is there.

papercu

GL wouldn't weight them, they just take information from turn-in documents, a reseller probably has the shipping weight shown. I wouldn't use a 14' boat trailer for all. Wayne

RealCavDog

WOW ! 8 of those on a boat-based single axle trailer ? Hope you have great tires on that trailer and I have done similar, if not worse, but the older I get, the less I chance it !

Pretty sure you will be at the extreme limits at the least, so I hope it's a short trip !

Good luck and will be interested to see how it all works out ! Please be safe !

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heavy enough, it took all my muscle to lift one of those into my truck
If that's the tire I picked up at your place, Amy picked it up easily!:oops:

Please try to use a descriptive title that includes key words when posting. It really helps in the long run.

I put 7 395 tires(4 with rims) in my pickup truck, no problem. I think you could do 8 just as well.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that's the tire I picked up at your place, Amy picked it up easily!:oops:

Please try to use a descriptive title that includes key words when posting. It really helps in the long run.

I put 7 395 tires(4 with rims) in my pickup truck, no problem. I think you could do 8 just as well.
Wow, 2 pages of responses in less then an hour!

doghead, I will change if you will point the way or you are welcome to edit as needed.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just weighed one at 471#

Thanks to everyone who responded.

My guess is the trailer is rated at 2000-2500 (I don't actually know but it is NOT a 3500 lb axle by the look of it.) That would make this load at least a 1000-1800 lbs over capacity and temps are in the 100s. My thought is overloaded tires die fast.

I can probably put 2 maybe three in the back of my truck with a lot of effort to load and unload, but I think I would rather spend that time driving to my dad's farm (an hour in the opposite direction) to borrow his tandem axle trailer.

Driving an extra 150 miles with the AC and radio beats two hours on the side of the road with a broken axle, asking myself why I attempted to use the light trailer.

Thanks for the help!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 395's with Hemtt rims weighed in right at 400 lbs. I wish I could put them on Jenny Craig. It would make my life a lot easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks