• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much is a "bad" transfer case leak?

Napoleon_Tanerite

So the rear output shaft of my transfer case is leaking. No puddle on the ground, but the underside of the truck is shiny wet with fluid and the U joint is also "well lubricated". I haven't opened it up yet to check the fluid level, but I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to change the rear seal, or just keep the fluid level up?

12vctd

No leak is a good leak. Easiest seal to replace remove driveshaft and put one in. Used to have speedy sleeves (dont know if they do anymore but assume they do) for the np 208. But being a slip yoke all you have to do is pull the rear shaft pry out ald seal put in new one and you will save buying fluid or possibly it getting worse and you replacing a t-case

Napoleon_Tanerite

I looked in the -20 for a procedure for replacing the seal and couldn't find it. Does anyone have a page number reference, and if not could you explain the procedure in a way an idiot like me could follow?

12vctd

mark the driveshaft at the rear end with some chalk or something to make sure you re install it the way it came out. remove the two u joint straps. make sure truck is chocked the wheels so it doesnt roll (yes ive had a truck roll with me under it and drag me out of a driveway lol). Remove the 4 bolts holding the rear ujoint to the yoke. remove the straps, pull drive shaft wrap the slip yoke with a rag, have a pan handy for any fluid that might drain out if your on a hill. Pull the old seal out with whatever method you chose I use a small old flat head and work around the lip slowly. Put new seal in the correct way so the rubber is pointing out, use a small block of wood or large socket to put in evenly and slowly, lufe the rubber slightly re install drive shaft, torque the bolts to 20 ft lbs i belive and your done.

Sardot1

How much is a "bad" transfer case leak?

If the wife keeps complaining about it. And this may limit your chances of her okaying another MV purchase because you are not allowed to have another ugly truck leaking oil or some other fluid in the driveway, you might want to fix it.:)

rnd-motorsports

Any leak is a leak that needs fixed!! You top off case forget about it and before you know it you need a transfer case. Like stated about 10 dollars and about 1/2 hour 45 min done peice of mind not having to remember to check case fluid pricless!!!:beer:

Napoleon_Tanerite

well, the fluid wasn't THAT low, seeing how i managed to empty almost the entire contents of my transfer case onto my driveway aua. Whoda thunk that it would make a 3' arc from the drain hole, skip off the pan, and land right on the pavement.

Forget the seal, i didn't feel like laying in a puddle of ATF to do it, so i just refilled the case and called it good.

12vctd

Well I guess in my steps I should have just had you drain the case, I normally do the seals nose down and have very little fluid leak out.

Napoleon_Tanerite

Well I guess in my steps I should have just had you drain the case, I normally do the seals nose down and have very little fluid leak out.
no, i pulled the drain plug first (well, second... i always pull a fill plug before i pull a drain plug). I figured since it's been running with a questionable quantity of fluid for an unknown period of time (never changed in the year I've owned the truck) I might as well drain and fill while I was there. Drain and fill accomplished-- seal replacement-- not so much.

12vctd

So after you drained the transfer case it still shot a ton of fluid out??, man you were so close to having it done just needed to pull and replace the seal you already did the hard part. Sorry again that I didnt stress that fluid would leak from the tailshaft.

Napoleon_Tanerite

no, i drained the fluid first, never got around to changing the seal. i'll monitor the leak after changing the fluid and see how it is. I cleaned all the residue from the old leak, so i have a good baseline for quantity.

12vctd

Oh so when you pulled the drain plug it made the mess gotcha now. Yeah fluid and gravity can be a bummer, I usually hold he pan close when I pull the plug.

12vctd

been there done that, the best is having a bad day forget to put the oil plug back in the dozer and pumping 12 gallons of oil onto the shop floor. Boy did i learna lesson that day