• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much is a complete 12k service worth?

Keith_J

None of the 'services' I have seen are more than look overs, fluid top offs and filters. Some don't even go that far.

There is no real way to inspect a seal. Its either leaking or not. A common seal failure is wearing the shaft of what its supposed to seal. I have fixed a few yokes that have a nice seal wear groove and an almost perfect seal. Ditto for bearings etc. You need to hear it going bad (can you hear anything on a running M35?) or feel for heat... both things easily done for far less than $700

Now scale that down to the average flipper.... with even less accountability and possibly experience. No thanks.
You don't know what you are talking about. At the end of the service life, there were bad suppliers of parts, like the wheel cylinders (SMR code PAOZZ which means they are not rebuilt) and outer wheel seals.

The replacement parts from non-military suppliers are MUCH HIGHER QUALITY. For example, wheel cylinder springs have cup expanders. Outer wheel seals are smooth without mold parting lines, vent sprues or other imperfections IN THE SEAL AREA.

Andy isn't the "average flipper". He KNOWS that at least one wheel on every GL truck has a leaky wheel cylinder or slimed shoes. And he knows how to fix this.

Unless you have pulled the drums, you won't know for sure.

paulfarber

I don't get it.. their 'services performed' is DIRECTLY from their web site. I doubt that you are getting 'upgraded' or replacement any thing without a cost.

If you are reading 'packing bearings' into 'grease chassis' then I think you are hoping for way to much. Grease chassis = going zerk hunting. If they ARE packing bearings then they should say so... but I'm gonna bet a warm soda they are not.

A seal will seal until it does not.. then it leaks... for any number of reasons. If there are 'bad' seals you are seriously saying that people (or dealers) are ripping them out and putting in new ones before a sale? How are you going to check? Trust? Hope?

You should know better to expect nothing than what is IN WRITING. I would never use them for service (parts, OK) because to me its not a big deal to jack up a truck and take things apart.

I am more than happy to spend a few hours on a vehicle. They are a hobby... I generally like my hobbies, otherwise they would not be, well, hobbies.

As for any premium they hope to charge, how about getting a TITLE instead. That adds value and saves you a headache you KNOW you will get. I told a guy I would buy a truck if he got a title for it. He said that's my problem. Needless to say I am still looking for a good truck. He recommended ITS (at a cost of $400, plus what PA is going to charge to RE-title, inspect blah blah blah).

Nothing anyone has said here is going to convince me that their 'service' is worth the money. They are NOT backing up any of their work with a guarantee. Spend that money on a REAL service like a TITLE and you have something tangible to offer.

Last edited:

Keith_J

The bad seals are the ones ON some of the GL vehicles I have seen. Mostly bum outer seals (keyed "washer") but also the wheel cylinders (all overhaul kits have the cup expanders).

The services the original poster is asking about as far as value are a real -20 and LO 12k with full brake drum pulling to check on everything.

Yes, most here have this as a hobby. But there are PLENTY of people WANTING this service. And I can make a good bit of mad money doing these services.

TexAndy

The bad seals are the ones ON some of the GL vehicles I have seen. Mostly bum outer seals (keyed "washer") but also the wheel cylinders (all overhaul kits have the cup expanders).

The services the original poster is asking about as far as value are a real -20 and LO 12k with full brake drum pulling to check on everything.

Yes, most here have this as a hobby. But there are PLENTY of people WANTING this service. And I can make a good bit of mad money doing these services.

Keith is the deuce whisperer. Listen to him.

tiger422

It would add value to your trucks to any one who values their time and to me time is money to anyone who thinks its not must be retired sitting on a pile of cash.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks