• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How Much Is Too Much?

Coal Cracker

Ok, Newbie Question.

I'm really seriously looking into getting a duece. I've been around them for awhile, my father worked for the state forestry service, and have lusted over their deuces decked out with brushguards, whistlers, and fire equipment.

My question is, How Much Is Too Much? I'd need to tow with it.

I have a backhoe rated somewhere around 15k, and i'm thinking that a deuce would not handle towing that.

I'd only need to tow, maybe twice a year, and local, bout 15 miles

From what I'm reading , 10k is about max.

I could just get a regular dump, but what fun would that be.:wink:

What's your opinoin. Thanks

grounded

Banned
for a short distance like that deuce will work ok. and it can pull 15k. But if you are going to do much towing or any chance i would get a 5 ton. Besides if you already kind of plan to use the truck, wait till you get it and find out how much you will use it, or find a use for it. I would get a 5 ton if you can afford it and be done. Always go bigger cause you WILL find a reason to use it

Jake0147

Are you kidding? They're selling half ton pickups now that are factory rated for 14,000. One tons with a fifth wheel are well into class A if you're getting paid to drive them....

A Deuce won't win any races moving a backhoe, you'll never see highway speeds with it, but it'll certainly move it safely. You'll need good trailer brakes. Deuce brakes are excellent by 40 and 60 yer old standards, but they were not built for today's bull and jam driving...

Monkeyboyarmy

I would pull 2 John Deere tractors on a tag trailer that weighed 21,000+ with the deuce tractor (non turbo).Pulled it very well.I could get 50+ mph on flat ground but any hill and it was down to 3rd gear.I would use all 7 gears to get it moving though :wink:.

yeager1

A good friend has a diesel shop in Colorado and most of his work is repairing 250's through 550's (and 2500's to 5500's) that people use to move the max load ratings on frequently. People burn up turbos, heads, entire motors, axles, trannies constantly-both auto and stick, really everything. Those trucks CAN move that load safely, but it's the max, not a continuous duty. It's just like comparing a 7.5 max hp homedepot air compressor to a 7.5 hp commercial compressor- run the HD model in a commercial setting and it will burn up within a month- the commercial one will last 20 years.

The military rating is very different: it's a continuous duty rating. It can be used within those parameters in the worst conditions with a driver that doesn't know what he is doing (or doesn't care), never have a problem and last forever. That's the difference in ratings. If the deuce had a "you could do it, but I wouldn't recommend doing it often" rating it would be 15k or better. But if you want to do it often, get a 5 ton.

IMA944T

Ok I know that the new pickups can pull alot, how about the older pick ups. To me it's a if you need something somewhere bad enough you will find a way to get it there. take for instance.
Truck and trailer empty 3600 LBS +
Jeep 3600 LBS + 5" x 8' dia septic tank lid.
Pre-Mix Concrete Bag Calculator

23ft³ = approx: 51.1 60 lb Bags or 38.3 80 lb Bags of Premix Concrete
38 bags @2080 lbs each appox 3040 lbs. Minus water due to curing process equals appox 10240.00 LBS towed home.
When you want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it home.
Wanted the lid, but had to pull it onto trailer with Jeep. Yes the rear tires were off the ground when loading and unloading. Only had to tow it about 8 miles up and down hills on Anderson Rd. Have great super heavy duty trailer hitch so I wasn't worried. Just took my time. Have towed 8000 plus several times. Just have to let trailer do the haul'n.
Yep 198000 mile 2200 cc 4 banger. Sometimes it's how you drive. Had to unload in my yard where I took pic's due to grass wouldn't give it enough traction to continue to climb slight uphill to back yard.
Toyota Tuff Now we know why I buought a little bigger truck
PS don't really reconmend this.

Attachments

grounded

Banned
:ditto:

its not what its rated at. Im still constintly amazed at how much i can make my truck move, or others move with these things. Like said you will find a way if want it moved bad enough or need to. But if you have your choice and live in the hills and can afford it 5 ton hands down. If not well let the deuce have at it.

Coal Cracker

Wow, I appreciate the response.

I wouldn't be towing 15-20 k for commercial purposes, I'd just like to be able to move my hoe if needed now and then. I think now I'm definately gonna keep lookin for my Deuce.

I have an 02 Ram cummins, That is rated to pull 13k GVW, it weighs about 6200 dry, so the leaves me bout 6000 and some change. I know It'll pull wayyy more than that, but I think 15k and a 2k trailer is pushin the envelope, with a single axle.

I have no doubt now that a deuce will fit my bill perfectly, I know it won't win at daytona pullin, but I'll be all smiles, and that's what matters:wink:

I have allot of diesel experience, and will be a new poster in this forum.

Angus1

brakes that would be the issue in our neck of the woods. we dont live in the midwest where it is flat, we got a lot of hills.

Coal Cracker

Ditto on the trailer brakes. I consider myself a safety minded individual, I'll take risks now and then in a pinch, but I play it safe as often as I can.

Now then second half of my question, I'm reading that Deuces are equipped with gladhands,and service air for air brake trailers? Is that true? If so is there an adjusting valve ?

Also is there an electrical hookup on them to make useful of electric trailer brakes?

And if so, are they 24v?

Angus1

yeah they have glad hands, they work the same as big truck glad hands, service and emergency. what do you mean adjusting valve?

tm america

the rating for a deuce as far as towing is really underrated.they rate the truck to haul 5000 offroad and 10000 on road .but the tow rating is 6000. thats it hmmm:?: i think the reason they rated it like that is the rating is an offroad rating and is not suject to uniform loading.so in other words you could tow a trails with huge tongue weights in any conditions

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks