• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much labor to change a cab???

sailor2000

My Deuce sheet metal has rusted out where the cowl in front of the windshield meets the windshield support... and also has rust in the 4 corners of the cab at the bottom... so.. I ma faced with a bunch of cutting and welding (off the frame to get it 'right'...) or just replace the cab with one that has less rust... yes.. I know 'worthless without pics'...

I would need to pull the dash anyway to do the cowl re-weld right... so what is the best plan... buy a non running Deuce with a good cab and strip it or do all the bodywork?? Ideas please???

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I woud effect a cab change. You will be dollars and hours ahead of the game doing it that way. I'm about to get started on one myself.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Cab swap

Blythewoodjoe

Now that I think about it the only thing that was a pain for me was the steering column. I removed the steering wheel and lifted the cab up and back. I couldn't get the steering box stuff loose. Of course I had no bed on the truck so the rearward movement was possible.

JDToumanian

I'm with the group on this one, too... Give it the heave-ho. Finding a cab at a wrecking yard should be easy with so many good trucks going to scrap these days.

Jon

sailor2000

JDToumanian said:
I'm with the group on this one, too... Give it the heave-ho. Finding a cab at a wrecking yard should be easy with so many good trucks going to scrap these days.

Jon
Well... that begs the question... anyone know of a yard full of M35 parts somewhere near South East Texas?

halftrack

Theres one near Tyler texas. Some old Marine vet who ones a scrap yard and has about 100 trucks. I'll get the number for ya. Sorry it is not closer though.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking of cab changes, I'm just getting underway on doing a cab resto then swap. Here are a few pics. The cab was already half stripped before the camera came out. This cab will be going on the M108 crane deuce.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
0ne more thing, have a close look under the dash for rust at the cowl. I'll post pics in the am

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if it's still morning but its still AM wisecracker! Here are some pics looking under the cowl area. As a point of reference, the cab is laying on the drivers side. My plan is to sandblast all the flake off and coat with POR15. I have a pint that I've had for years, hope its still good. You will find that there are alot of little problem areas on these cabs just by virtue of design. Glad I caught this or I woudln't have been happy in a couple of years.

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We swaped my 52's cab at the museum in about 4 hours last year. I replaced the wiring harness so i wasen't to worrined about hacking the old one. It's alot easier than it looks. The only slow down is the 40 year old fine threaded rusted bolts. But air tools made short work of that.

littlebob

I don't know how much time it would take if you had the right equipment and motivated to just do that as one project. Mine is kind of a labor of love that gets interupted by weather, soccer games, Young marines and work. I unbolted my bed and then jacked up each side to put a couple of 2" pipe to be able to roll it back to make enough clearance . I will try to post pictures. I have more pictures but will try and keep it short here. I am still working on hooking up all of the air and electrical stuff. If you do it make sure you take detailed pictures of where everything goes. I have found lots of info in the TM's, but a picture is worth a thousand words and it takes me hours to find what I'm looking for in the
TM's. PM me if you have any questions.
littlebob

Attachments

kcimb

littlebob said:
I don't know how much time it would take if you had the right equipment and motivated to just do that as one project. Mine is kind of a labor of love that gets interupted by weather, soccer games, Young marines and work. I unbolted my bed and then jacked up each side to put a couple of 2" pipe to be able to roll it back to make enough clearance . I will try to post pictures. I have more pictures but will try and keep it short here. I am still working on hooking up all of the air and electrical stuff. If you do it make sure you take detailed pictures of where everything goes. I have found lots of info in the TM's, but a picture is worth a thousand words and it takes me hours to find what I'm looking for in the
TM's. PM me if you have any questions.
littlebob
Hey Bob,

Truck looks GREAT! :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks