• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much leakage on a Deuce

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the words of my good friend who worked on deuces for 25 yrs "best way to kill a deuce is by NOT running it. Run her for a while and watch the leaks stop". His advice has worked good for me. Run her hard for a while and then see what remains leaking.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kind of OT but a guy in the Army once told me " If a Blackhawk isn't leaking Hyd oil don't get in it, It's out".

kc5mzd

There appears to be a slight leak on the passengers side near the center of the engine block from behind the exhaust manifold.

There also appears to be a very small leak on the drivers side under the filters mounted in the middle of the engine.
All 7 of mine leak. The leaks on the passenger side of the block seem to be coming from the intake manifold where it bolts to the block. I think this if from the turbo. I think it leaks a small amount when the truck is shut down. Then when the truck is started up the turbo pressure causes it to come out past the manifold gaskets. The more I drive it the less it seems to leak. The oil filter leak will probably stop the next time you change the oil. Just make sure new gaskets are used.

Mark3395

I noticed some oil drops while my truck idled during a 900 mile recovery from Warner Robbins. 12,000 miles on an '87. Cleaned the engine and found slight seep at the front of the forward head within 100 miles. Kept an eye on it for another 500 miles and find the front edge of the block is damp, but no dripping. While the leakage isn't reflected by lower oil level, I do wonder if the gasket is being eroded or weakened and will fail catastrophically.

Lost a little oil from the bell housing too, so assume the rear main seal is flaky. I figure on watching it and procrastinating on replacement until it becomes severe.

I hope I'm on the right track.