• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much paint?? M35 2-1/2 ton

Kaiser67M715

Hi all, really simple question, looking for an estimate of paint volume to paint an M35, frame axles, bed, pretty much everything. I will likely be able to remove fenders, hood, doors, bumpers, bed, but I will likely leave the cab in place, wheels may need to stay in place to paint frame(insufficient ability to block it up without wheels)
(yes I have been searching for estimates, but no luck. And I will likely have to paint in stages(like cab and frame, then bed, then hood fenders etc.)

I will most likely be using Rapco/Gillepsie paints -Strata Blue color, 25045. and using a pot gun, so thinning the paint-although I know by gaining volume by thinning, I also lose some to atomization while spraying.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're going that route 4 gallons should be fine, it will make 5 after cutting it with xylene. If you want to be safe go with 5 gallons since you plan to do up inside the frame and some of those tight spots.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This really depends what route you are planning on using. If carc im sure the answers above are correct. The Behr outdoor paint prob looking 2-3 Gallons with a Weber air sprayer( Looks awesome and cheapest). a lot of guys like the single stage spray cans usually Rapco or Rustoleoum cans. I can't speak to how much to use in the cans but I can tell you I used 2.5 gallons of Behr base olive drab then went in and chalked off my camo then used about 6 cans of black and 6 cans of earth for my camo. have fun!!8) Please send pics of before and after

67Beast

I used 4 gallons of Gillespie #24087 when I painted mine back in 05'. Did it pretty much like you are describing, I left the cab on the frame and removed the fenders, hood, cargo box. I was using a nice high volume/ low pressure paint system.

Attachments

Kaiser67M715

Cool, Thanks guys, I was kind of thinking I would need at least 4 gallons; at least I should be able to do most of the truck, if I have to get another gallon to finish-say the bed, that wont be the worst thing.

Another thing-Is there another place I could get Gillespie Paint in Strata Blue? It looks like Rapco is the only place-not that I'm going to complain about price too much, just one gallon in single stage El Cheapo PPG is only $138-NO reducer or any other needed additives....cheapest quote as well, went up to $150 at other places.

Kaiser67M715

Yup, Air Force color, my M35 was originally Air Force, figured as a gasser and Air Force it would be OK to be different. Break up the o.d. Parades and shows a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks