• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How much unusable fuel is in an M1009 tank?

Napoleon_Tanerite

I know the tank on my M1009 is a 27 gallon tank, but I was wondering how much of it is unusable? Today I put in 25.8g, and I figured that must have been getting pretty close. Now I'm trying to figure out exactly how much is in the tank on each tick mark of the fuel gauge. I found myself wondering all this as I was on hour 4 of the second 7 hour road trip of the week (truck ran GREAT by the way).

While I've got you here, and in a completely unrelated matter, what could be causing oil to sputter out from the dipsick? I've never seen it actually happening, but the driver's side of the engine bay is coated with oil. I originally suspected a leak in the lines, but my trans fluid, p/s fluid and brake fluid have all held steady for over a year, while my engine oil has consistently decreased in quantity.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sounds like you are building pressure in the crankcase, causing oil to flow from the dipstick, check your CDR valve, make sure it's not plugged.

67_C-30

While I've got you here, and in a completely unrelated matter, what could be causing oil to sputter out from the dipsick? I've never seen it actually happening, but the driver's side of the engine bay is coated with oil. I originally suspected a leak in the lines, but my trans fluid, p/s fluid and brake fluid have all held steady for over a year, while my engine oil has consistently decreased in quantity.
That is the result of blowby. The CDR valve (tuna can looking valve on the RH side of the engine) is not functioning, they will build up excess crankcase pressure case tthem to push an oil vapor out of the dipstick. If the CDR is working correctly, it usually the rings are worn and only rebuilding will fix it. I'd clean the CDR valve first.

Napoleon_Tanerite

That is the result of blowby. The CDR valve (tuna can looking valve on the RH side of the engine) is not functioning, they will build up excess crankcase pressure case tthem to push an oil vapor out of the dipstick. If the CDR is working correctly, it usually the rings are worn and only rebuilding will fix it. I'd clean the CDR valve first.
I know they are tricky to find the right one... any link to a good replacement?

67_C-30

I know they are tricky to find the right one... any link to a good replacement?
I always clean mine, and I've yet to have replace one. As far as cleaning them, a lot of people use WD-40/PB Blaster and some use brake cleaner. I've used WD, but I've found that diesel fuel mixed with a little acetone works better than anything I've tried. The "creeping" effect of the diesel is aided by the fast evaporation of the acetone. In fact, this concoction makes a better penetrating oil than anything you can buy in a can. Just take the CDR valve off, and soak the insides with whatever you choose, blow it out with air, and reinstall. I like to submerge mine in the diesel/acetone mix for a few hours and put it back on. Make sure your you blow it real good if you use brake cleaner or something similiar because the engine can pull it into the intake make the engine rev to moon on start-up!