• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How NOT To Replace The Voltage Regulator In Your MEP-701a

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one suggestion, next time please use a camera tripod, and start recording video before you begin to work on it. That way we can see the FIRE!:shock:

[Media] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XchwE9zVdnw [/Media]

Last edited:

derf

I don't know how I missed this thread originally. As you can see in the video I gutted the control box. I'm hoping to find a 017 head to use with this L100. Looks like I paralleled the outputs on the terminal board. The two terminals on the left are the field. The black and white wire that go the terminal board on the right feed 120 to the VR. The multiconductor on the left (kinda in a C shape) with the blue wire nut on the end will go to the original adjustment pot.
I didn't run it with a load, yet, but it was making good 120V power.

Attachments

The_New_Guy

I think I am going to attempt to repeat this experiment, however I will do a couple of things differently,

1 I will use a terminal strip and connect through it like the way the original VR is connected, so I can roll things back if needed.

2, I will add a small fuse to the F1/F2 connection.

3, and of course I will add the missing 120V jumper.

Ike
12 years ago - I get it. Any chance you were successful with the changes you outlined? I am putting a sx460 in a 701 now.
Thanks!

Ray70

I didn't read the entire thread above, but I've done a few SA460's in 016B's and 701's , it worked perfectly and took all of 10 minutes to install!
If you need assistance I should be able to recall what I did, but I do remember it was super simple to install.

The_New_Guy

Thanks for the reply Ray. I agree this looks relatively straight forward - but is largely unconfirmed and I'm just not a big fan of burning up money or generators. I have read plenty of other posts with people saying it is easy but I haven't been able to find a successful someone posting up exactly what goes to what - like post #13 seems to do but is unverified.
I am not an electrician, but post #13 seems to make sense looking at the TM diagrams and this thread died after folks said they would try it out. One person in this thread discussed the same fate (magic smoke out) in a different thread.
Because I am apparently a little slower than most, I would really appreciate someone confirming the connections outlined in the picture on post 13 or posting up their own successful connections.
Sorry again to resurrect this thread but it seemed to get the closest of any of them.
Thank you!

Ray70

Any chance you could post a pic of the install instructions from your SX460, maybe that will jog my memory and help verify post 13.
If I recall, everything was super simple, except maybe determining the polarity of F1 and F2??
I used the cheap SX460 AVR from China, not the original SX460 from Flight Simulators, but I assume it's all the same....

The_New_Guy

Any chance you could post a pic of the install instructions from your SX460, maybe that will jog my memory and help verify post 13.
If I recall, everything was super simple, except maybe determining the polarity of F1 and F2??
I used the cheap SX460 AVR from China, not the original SX460 from Flight Simulators, but I assume it's all the same....
I'll post up a picture of the install instructions when I get home tonight. I believe they are the same as in post #9.

Guyfang

Staff member
On all Mil-Standard gen sets, F1 will be Positive.

Ray70

Ok, So looking at things again, your 701 is a little different under the hood than the 016D I did last, but.... the wiring labels in post 13 are correct as far as what they are ( I compared them to the TM )
So the wire on #20 will go to F1 X on the SX460
Wire #21 goes to F2 XX on the SX460
The wires on 24 and 27 are the 120V that goes to 7 and 8 on the SX460 ( be sure to splice both wires on 24 and 27 together.
Lastly, 26 and 28 connect to pin 1 and 2 on the SX460 for your voltage adjustment POT
Don't forget the jumpers on 3-4 and C-60
Also add a fuse to #20 if you want, but I'm not sure what size. The 802/803 use a 3A slow blow, not sure if this application would warrant the same?

The_New_Guy

Ok, So looking at things again, your 701 is a little different under the hood than the 016D I did last, but.... the wiring labels in post 13 are correct as far as what they are ( I compared them to the TM )
So the wire on #20 will go to F1 X on the SX460
Wire #21 goes to F2 XX on the SX460
The wires on 24 and 27 are the 120V that goes to 7 and 8 on the SX460 ( be sure to splice both wires on 24 and 27 together.
Lastly, 26 and 28 connect to pin 1 and 2 on the SX460 for your voltage adjustment POT
Don't forget the jumpers on 3-4 and C-60
Also add a fuse to #20 if you want, but I'm not sure what size. The 802/803 use a 3A slow blow, not sure if this application would warrant the same?
Thanks! That is helpful and confirms what was speculated earlier in this thread. I am going to try getting it connected before me and the fam go camping this weekend. I'll report back on the results when I run it.