• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How NOT to unload your MEP-002a!

jacobsk

Today I happily drove out to the local GL site to pick up my second MEP-002a. She appears to be a real gem aside from some scrapes and scuffs from being moved around a bit, the machine really loks to be in absolutely great condition.

90 hours on the meter, a recent service with new filters, batteries just over a year old, not a speck of rust inside the fuel tank. Not bad at all for a machine built in 1981, someone really cared for this generator.

$394 out the door with sellers premium included :) and a load out that took just over 10 minutes, what else could a guy ask for?

I got her home, happy as can be, aaaaaaaaand then I dumped her on her side. aua

Fortunately my left leg slowed her down a bit as she started her slow motion topple, allowing her to smack the ground with the force of only half of an angry god's fist. Nothing looks to have been damaged other than a dent in the engine shroud and a good bit of my pride of course.

I had the generator upright in about 30 minutes after a breif cool down period and a quick examination of the leg where the control box kindly removed a healthy layer of skin. The engine had it's oil and fuel drained prior to DRMO and new filters installed so I don't think much of any fluid could have gone where it shouldn't be, if that's even possible.

So, now that I got that off my chest... anything specific I should look for before I try and start her up in the next few days? (By specific I mean anything related to smacking the ground and laying on her side)

Images are pre-oops and mid-oops, it's pretty obvious which is which, I'll get better pictures of her once I have her running.

no2.jpgIMG_6631.jpgIMG_5617.jpgIMG_8714.jpg

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ouch! Sorry she tipped over, but usually one thing goes wrong. If thats all, you'll have smooth sailing. Looks like a nice one.

rustystud

Make sure nothing happened to your injection pump and lines. Also all the linkages to the pump from the solenoid valve. Once you have all the filters on and fuel in the tank and oil in the engine, run the pumps to make sure there is nothing leaking (it would be a good idea to clean the pumps before using them). Make sure fuel is returning to the tank. After you start-up the unit, check the oil filter housing for any leaks. All in all you look like you got a good unit !

Isaac-1

I would also check the motor mounts to make sure none sheared off, and make sure the batteries did not leak on anything important.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sit generator, sit. Good generator.

Roll over generator, roll over....

Good generator.

:3dAngus:

FloridaAKM

I second your motion as to the price range.

Good thing the genset didn't break your leg or trap you under it in the fall!

The unit looks in great shape & the fuel tank looks NEW! What good luck!
Your a lucky guy !! They are 2 or 3 times that much on the east coast. Looks like a nice buy !!!

Chrispyny

I almost bid on 4 of those wisconson generators. I knew they were mint. I could tell.,they just looked beautiful. The problem is the 17 hour drive to wisconson from the east coast. I have the trailer, just no patience for long trips. I know i could have made all my money back by selling just one of those 002a's here in upstate ny. I just couldnt talk myself into driving that far. Congrats. Those deals dont happen on the east coast.

Most of those generators were kept inside. It was easy ro tell. No rust or sun damage anywhere. Im very jealous.

glassk

It's just a Flesh Wound,...

Although it landed on the opposite side , I would take a good look around the output Lugs and make sure nothing went wrong, something shorting them or similar ,...2cents

Ratch

Wow, that tanks looks brand new!

DON'T FILL IT!

If you plan to keep this genset, and that tank hasn't had diesel in it yet, get yourself a tank liner like RedKote and coat that thing asap. You'll thank yourself in 5 years when you're on here reading about guys with rusted tanks that can't find replacements for under $400.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow, that tanks looks brand new!

DON'T FILL IT!
If you plan to keep this genset, and that tank hasn't had diesel in it yet, get yourself a tank liner like RedCoat and coat that thing asap. You'll thank yourself in 5 years when you're on here reading about guys with rusted tanks that can't find replacements for under $400.
Nah, just keep the tank full and you'll be fine. Diesel is an oil and will keep the rust at bay.

Ratch

I've seen enough rusted tanks that were always kept full to know it's smart to prevent now rather than repair later. You can't get a tank full enough to guarantee no condensate ever anyway, or that there will never be contaminated fuel or a leaky valve that leaves it empty for a month before it's noticed.

There's no argument against lining a tank except money for the material and time for curing. Keep it filled after it's lined, and it will never be a problem. ;)
If it's already had diesel in it, then keeping it filled is the best advice for prevention.

It's really an amazing score. $400 for it in that condition is just awesome, even after skin repairs.

Btw, OP, the batteries may have leaked while sideways. Look for any wet areas they could have dripped on while horizontal and toss some baking soda on, then rinse. Don't get the electrolyte (battery acid) on your hands or eyes, and if the batteries are not maintenance-free, you might have to add a little distilled water.

Last edited:

jacobsk

Thanks for all the ideas, I never thought to have the fuel tank lined or to top off the batteries with distilled water before a charge. I'll check the motor mounts to see if anything failed, it's an awful lot of weight applied in a direction that the mounts likely were not designed for. Output lugs still look fine, though those are the types of suggestions I'm looking for.

Other than new screens and gaskets how do you recommend cleaning the fuel pumps?

FloridaAKM

Don't add water to the batteries before you charge them, add it after charging, so that you won't overflow the electrolyte. If they are maintenance free, disregard this info!

You still got a killer deal on a really great shape genset!

Triple Jim

Don't add water to the batteries before you charge them, add it after charging, so that you won't overflow the electrolyte. If they are maintenance free, disregard this info!
But he needs to check the acid level. If it's below the tops of the plates, he definitely should not charge it before adding water. If a lot of liquid was lost, he needs to add acid, not water.

rustystud

Thanks for all the ideas, I never thought to have the fuel tank lined or to top off the batteries with distilled water before a charge. I'll check the motor mounts to see if anything failed, it's an awful lot of weight applied in a direction that the mounts likely were not designed for. Output lugs still look fine, though those are the types of suggestions I'm looking for.

Other than new screens and gaskets how do you recommend cleaning the fuel pumps?
The bottom has a hex nut on it. Unscrew the cap and clean the filter and rub a rag inside to remove any debris. Lube the rubber gasket with petroleum jelly before installing.

cuad4u

Diesel fuel definitely is an oil. However fuel tanks "sweat" on the inside from condensation. This can be minimized by ALWAYS keeping the fuel tank full to the very top. If (when) condensation occurs the water will slowly accumulate inside the tank. Since water is heavier than diesel fuel, the water will settle in the bottom of the tank. Over time this water can rust the bottom of the tank out. Even periodic draining water out of the tank with the drain valve on the bottom of the tank will not get every bit of water out. If I had a brand new tank I would coat it before filling it for the first time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks