• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How often do you tow half a ship with your HET ?

Pretty normal stuff here :whistle: - just stack 34,000 lbs of steel plate on the 5th wheel and get to moving some serious steel...

The C/P Starbound is getting 60 feet added to the midships and Dakota Creek has been using a HET to tow the bow section back and forth for positioning and mock up...

It's pretty wild to watch that thing skid half a ship around - figured your guys would enjoy it

Matt

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's enough to give any DOT cop a heart attack. I bet the HET is looking around like "is there something hooked onto me?"

That's a cool article - I do main engine work and the fleet is pretty small up here so everyone is excited about big changes like this - been up working on some Bergen inline 8's on the Seafreeze Alaska in the same yard...

They pulled the Bergen BRM inline 9 out of the Starbound and are putting in a MaK

Matt

Attachments

The King Machine

That is a thing of beauty, perhaps I can convince my boss to buy a HET to use around the yard. My Deuce is parked in the parking lot but I don't she has the stones to get the job done.

Nice to see a fellow ship builder on steel soldiers!

I work for the Washington Corporation, Seaspan North Vancouver ship yards.

Attachments

goldneagle

That's a cool article - I do main engine work and the fleet is pretty small up here so everyone is excited about big changes like this - been up working on some Bergen inline 8's on the Seafreeze Alaska in the same yard...

They pulled the Bergen BRM inline 9 out of the Starbound and are putting in a MaK

Matt
You think that engine would fit as an upgrade in a 5 ton truck? LOL

HanksDeuce

Biggest engine I have ever worked with was an inline 8 cylinder DeLaval Enterprise 3050 kW backup diesel generator for nuclear service. It was basically a tugboat engine certified for nuclear use. Not very reliable. One of the Enterprise engines broke a crank somewhere in the U.S., so they derated it from 3500 kW to 3050 kW (if memory is correct). I always climbed on top of the catwalk above the cylinder heads during startup and first running because they were known to sling rods on a few occasions causing multiple fatalities. Think it was 20" bore and 20" stroke. Woodward governor and a butterfly valve on the intake before the massive air/water intercooler in case of a runaway. Only run it an hour per month and 24 hours once a year. Huge turbo on it.

The other 2 backup diesel generators at the same nuclear power plant are EMD V16's, which are basically out of locomotives.

ReoRider

Awesome pictures and concept. Am wondering if there is a photo of the steel plate you mentioned put onto the 5th wheel. Interested to see how it is attached and whether it is designed to be easily removable. Am still looing into the ballast box concept for better bobtailed traction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks