• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How stuck have you gotten your Deuce PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You will get someone killed pulling on a ball hitch like that. Please be more careful and get some shackles.

TsgtB

So.... I am sure it's been said a few times... but do you risk sticking a "big truck" (at your own expense) to retrieve a dumb @$$ (sorry) from some place he shouldn't have been to start with...?

I mean I'm all for trying to help out, but if its beyond reach of cables and straps and all.... when do you draw the line?
Is it just one of those "know your limits" kind of thing.....?

I've never been "scared" to try helping with my jeeps (winch or no winch) knowing I could be pulled out by a quad or small truck, vs sinking a deuce.... ( i'm not so young anymore....)

hklvette

So.... I am sure it's been said a few times... but do you risk sticking a "big truck" (at your own expense) to retrieve a dumb @$$ (sorry) from some place he shouldn't have been to start with...?
Nope, or at least I don't. I am young enough, but I don't have time to deal with getting a stuck 5-ton out.

Coincidentally, that's why I want to get a 5T w/w. If the 931 gets in a bad position, I don't have anything big enough to get it out for sure.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coincidentally, that's why I want to get a 5T w/w. If the 931 gets in a bad position, I don't have anything big enough to get it out for sure.
That's why 1) I got a truck with a winch and 2) I am very careful where I take something that can't be recovered by anything readily-available. Too cautious for this thread!

dawico

I mean I'm all for trying to help out, but if its beyond reach of cables and straps and all.... when do you draw the line?
Is it just one of those "know your limits" kind of thing.....?

I've never been "scared" to try helping with my jeeps (winch or no winch) knowing I could be pulled out by a quad or small truck, vs sinking a deuce.... ( i'm not so young anymore....)
Generally yes but I am also not stupid. Some of my best memories involve getting stuck. Of course that is in normal vehicles.

I am a "go for it" kinda guy. What can I say?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to get out on my own, but it took half a dozen attempts. Left wheels were in a muddy rut, right wheels on firm ground. Couldn't turn out of the rut, and going back and forth just made the rut longer.

TsgtB

Sure, when you go out with others in your class/size and you know they CAN get you out...

I've had to leave a few stuck "overnight"... some with headlights under water, or WAY "out back" Alaska...
and jeep and blazer parts are easy to find and don't cost TOO much. Usually in my daily driver too.

But for me, this deuce is a fun hobby. I'm not scared to scratch it or get it dirty, but I want it to be available when I NEED it.
Not like "end of the world" or whatever "catch phrase" might get one banished....
but for snow, ice storms, tornado (we live in that alley) "downed trees" in the road, bla bla bla.....
Going out for ice cream, cruising with the wife or helping dad on the farm.

But i'm not doing all this to make a Swamp Donkey out of it and trash it. And yes, I am "preserving" a historic military vehicle.
To each his own... i'm not against someone enjoying their trucks the way THEY want... but this one is MINE.

jake1086

You will get someone killed pulling on a ball hitch like that. Please be more careful and get some shackles.
Not my truck, I took the help I could get. The person in danger was me, also sometimes ropes break, wires snap and chains bust. I've had those three happen far more than I've seen things slip off a ball. But I digress.

Anywho, I needed a D8 and then a tank recovery truck??? Do I win the thread??

K5Cruz

Not my truck, I took the help I could get. The person in danger was me, also sometimes ropes break, wires snap and chains bust. I've had those three happen far more than I've seen things slip off a ball. But I digress.

Anywho, I needed a D8 and then a tank recovery truck??? Do I win the thread??
Balls shear off at the shank. I had one hit the top of my cab once, it was a big wake up call for me.

TsgtB

Balls shear off at the shank. I had one hit the top of my cab once, it was a big wake up call for me.
:eek:
I do look forward to the experience of pulling someone out, that the little guys have given up on.
Seeing a wrecker get stuck because he wasn't big as he thought.... good times.

jake1086

:eek:
I do look forward to the experience of pulling someone out, that the little guys have given up on.
Seeing a wrecker get stuck because he wasn't big as he thought.... good times.
Do you have a wrecker TsgtB or something bigger that makes the wrecker look like "a little guy" :)

TsgtB

Do you have a wrecker TsgtB or something bigger that makes the wrecker look like "a little guy" :)
Nope. just the deuce, bone stock... but I have seen roll backs think they can go anywhere... and sink in the sand and have to be pulled back to the road.
I'm putting my new fuel line on my deuce and this "should" be the LAST thing before starting up the new motor...!!!