• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how tight rear hub's

jasonjc

I just got the rear hubs back on. After replacing the seals and repacking the bearing. But they seem real tight/hard to trun this is with the breaks loose. Do the seals but alot of drag on the hub's , or did I do something wrong or am I just paradorid??? I don't think the breaing are too tight, the hubs were stiff before I torqed the bearing.

cbvet

RE: how tight rear hub

Okay, I forgot about the wheel/axle hubs on the rear. Too much time in the sun. I just put some desplined front hubs on mine, & that's what I was thinking about.
Anyway, if you're trying to turn them without yhe brake drums for leverage, they would be pretty stiff. Especially at first.
Eric
CBVET

maxim

I have been in and out of a persistantly hot hub 7 times in the last month. Finally new bearings and races were installed. Packed, new seals, tightened and backed off according to specs, outer nut torqued and assembled correctly. Still after a 10 mile run at moderate speeds the hub still gets hot, not too hot to touch but close. I have enlisted the advise of many and there seems to be no reason why this hub should be getting hot. Races seated correctly, packed, no draging brakes. I know it is not rocket science. The truck has not been subjected to any off roading that could have bent the axle/hub, have not hit anything, Just putters along at 50 mph empty.
There can't be much more than 2,500 lbs on that hub. Any suggestions would be more than welcomed.

DanMartin

One way to eliminate the axle would be to swap it with another one on the truck...if the problem follows the axle, there you go.

...just a thought.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I had the same issue. Although the brakes were adjusted per the book, there was just enough drag to heat that one drum and hub up, It was fixed by just a very tine back-off of the brakes on that wheel. So check your temps with a digital infrared thermometer, see where they are truly the hottest. Swapping the tires , yes a good suggestion too.

acetomatoco

There are four adjustments for the brakes on each wheel... and of course...the definition of warm and hot is ever so relative...

jeli

Which TM covers rear bearings and seals? I've got a million things going on and need to get my wheel seal replaced. Deuce has to be moved for roofers to get in next week.