• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HOW TO ADD 12v CIGAR LIGHTER TO HMMWV

Iambiig

I have a dual voltage 200A generator. Does anybody have a diagram of how to run the wires from the generator to install a 12v cig lighter in the dash?

Any help would be appreciated

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
positive wire to positive terminal of the rear battery, wired through an appropriately sized fuse.
Negative wire goes to negative of the same battery, or straight to ground if you prefer.

the fuse IS important, as it's what protects you from burning down the truck if a short circuit appears. The closer to the positive battery terminal it is, the better.

If you start adding more 12V loads you'll want to get a 24-12V converter, but for a few smaller loads like a 12V outlet then straight to the battery is fine.

springer1981

so, you just wire it directly to the battery?....not from the rectifier?
The dual voltage alternator is for dual voltage charging not just a 12v tap to run stuff. If you want a simple 12v low current outlet then tap one of the batteries.

Pull the 12vdc from between the batteries and then the chassis ground will work for you like any other ground. See picture below.

12vdc.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so, you just wire it directly to the battery?....not from the rectifier?
Provided the dual voltage generator has the 14V output wired to the rear battery, that is where I would wire it.
Reason being, the battery is the most stable output of power. It acts as a buffer to any fluctuations in the output, and it's where the power will come from when the vehicle is off.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you are only pulling a relatively small amount of power say 10A MAX you can attach a fuse directly to the 14V tap on the regulator.

springer1981

As long as you are only pulling a relatively small amount of power say 10A MAX you can attach a fuse directly to the 14V tap on the regulator.
Does this apply only if it is hooked up to the batteries? Mine is grounded, would I just unground mine and tap off of it? I assume it would only work if it is connected to the battery.

Iambiig

The dual voltage alternator is for dual voltage charging not just a 12v tap to run stuff. If you want a simple 12v low current outlet then tap one of the batteries.

Pull the 12vdc from between the batteries and then the chassis ground will work for you like any other ground. See picture below.

View attachment 857258
and then the chassis would be the ground? +12vdc cig lighter to battery then the -12vdc is the chassis?

springer1981

and then the chassis would be the ground? +12vdc cig lighter to battery then the -12vdc is the chassis?
Yes except it wouldn't be -12vdc it would be 0vdc or ground. In my picture above the battery on the left is what others are referring to the rear battery.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does this apply only if it is hooked up to the batteries? Mine is grounded, would I just unground mine and tap off of it? I assume it would only work if it is connected to the battery.
Yes that applies ONLY if the 14V tap is connected to the batteries, otherwise you should NOT power any 12V equipment except through a 24V-12V voltage converter, if you tap between the two batteries for 12V and do not have a dual voltage alternator fully connected (both 28 and 14V) you will cause an imbalance and fry your batteries.
Also under no circumstances should you pull more than 15A or so continuously on the 14V tap as all the 14V system was designed for was to power the 4L transmission control circuits.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For anyone wanting to install a cigar lighter limited to lighting cigars/cigarettes, the easiest thing is to simply install a 24 VDC lighter. Just make sure someone doesn't accidentally try to power a 12 VDC device from the lighter socket.

INFChief

Optional idea; wire a relay from the 24 volt system that energizes when you turn the Master Power switch on. Run your 12 volts from the battery to the relay - the relay only closes when the Master Power is turned on. A inline fuse or fusible link are recommended. This way you can avoid unintentional battery draw.

DD58

I’d be careful with this style. I got one for my mep831 to run 12volt lights and charge cell phones well it caught fire. Thank god I installed a battery isolation switch. For 50 bucks you can get one that is really nice and rated for 250watts.

Victron Energy Orion-Tr IP43 24/12-Volt 20 amp 240-Watt DC/DC Converter, Non Isolated https://a.co/d/7wg5PWi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 100A alternator doesn't have a 12v tap so I am running a 24v to 12v 60A waterproof converter mounted under the hood. If you are just needing 12V for a USB charger or something else low power you can tap off one of the batteries but I would suggest using the power and ground off the same battery and not using the vechicle ground. You can run into issues sharing vechicle grounds for different voltages.

Mark

DC-DC-Converter-24V-to-12v-Power-Supply.jpg

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
next to the B pillar

Check out this AMG kit 57k4428 from a fellow member on ss but he is not here often. Pricey but if you want the real deal.....

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
another solution if just needing a USB cable(s) that works well on HMMWV and not in the way is a field plug to the slave cable port. I have used this solution and very happy with it. Veteran owned company, btw

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks